Aquarium Co Op Brine Shrimp Eggs Review

Fish Folk

Ordered my first batch of Aquarium Co Op Brine Shrimp Eggs. Presently, we hatch out about one liter every other day in our little fish room.

Arrived on time (as always). Shipped in a zip-sealed bag inside of a pretty green Co Op can. Honestly, we don't need the can. We just use the bag. 

The cysts are much darker than those we've used recently. We're used to looking for the hatchery color to change, but with the dark cysts it looks pretty dark brown from the get-go. Not a problem. Just a difference.

They hatch out really small -- which is wonderful! These BBS are about small enough after hatching (24-36 hrs) to feed tiny fry that normally require a few days worth of smaller foods before graduating to BBS. One thing: the hatched BBS are so small that a lot are lost in our shrimp net when washing. Use of a Coffee filter may be recommended to preserve as many as possible.

Hatch rate appears excellent -- though we usually rinse early, because we're over-eager. Allowing for a full 48 hr hatch is best. Enough are ready at 36 hrs, though, that we usually feed at that time.

Our Killi fry, Goodeid hatchlings, Okefenokee Pygmy Sunfish, Molly and Guppy babies, and that one Dwarf Gourami runner who ate all of its siblings last week . . . all say thanks tonight from their fat BBS-filled bellies.

Keep up the excellent work, CoOp!

• Like 5

Well said. I want to add myself to the list of people wishing for a 8 oz or 16 oz can of co op brine shrimp eggs. After dealing with 90% hatch rate from another source I really got an appreciation for how good the hatch and separation rate is on the co op strain. There's no comparison. Till the option comes, I'm telling my friends and family that all I want for christmas is a green can of eggs. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I've been trying for a 16oz can. Honestly when we tried to make it work 30 days ago, our best was holding off the price increase. Inflation is hitting the world right now, Almost every single product has gone up. We've been able to hold our pricing due to negotiating and buying in larger quantities. However We haven't found a way to get a 16oz size at any discount and in some cases it would cost more than just buying the 4 cans we currently have. Rest assured once we can find a way to make it work we shall.

2 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

Allowing for a full 48 hr hatch is best. Enough are ready at 36 hrs, though, that we usually feed at that time.

Whats the trade off here.  I head 12hr old (after hatch) are worse nutritionally.  is it worth the wait for the extra bbs?

3 hours ago, CT_ said:

Whats the trade off here.  I head 12hr old (after hatch) are worse nutritionally.  is it worth the wait for the extra bbs?

The “90% hatch rate” can only be assessed once all the cysts have time to hatch. I’m just often impatient... so I get 65-70% hatched at 36 hrs. I have not heard the 12-hr after hatch downgrade assessment. I’m a bit skeptical.

3 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

The “90% hatch rate” can only be assessed once all the cysts have time to hatch. I’m just often impatient... so I get 65-70% hatched at 36 hrs. I have not heard the 12-hr after hatch downgrade assessment. I’m a bit skeptical.

What temperature do you hatch at? I had low hatch rates and/or had to extend the hatch time to 48 hrs untill I added a heater at 80°.

8 hours ago, CT_ said:

I found this article earlier this week about nutritional value and post hatch time.

I was going to make a thread about it, decided not to. Perhaps I should have.

37 minutes ago, Wingman12r said:

What temperature do you hatch at? I had low hatch rates and/or had to extend the hatch time to 48 hrs untill I added a heater at 80°.

Room temp... but in a dedicated box... probably 74-degrees

• Administrators

I personally think that how dense the calories are with brine shrimp is not a useful metric the aquarium hobby. Everything in the world has more value when it's fresher. That doesn't mean I don't reheat leftovers tomorrow.... In a practical sense, we could look at Dean's procedure. Most would consider him a successful aquarist. He feeds the brine after hatching for 36 hours, then again at 48 hours.

I think for those who are worried about min/maxing the brine shrimp. You can focus on water quality, or other live foods and that would have a greater impact on actually raising fish than the gains to be gotten from different brine shrimp hatch times.

3 hours ago, Cory said:

I personally think that how dense the calories are with brine shrimp is not a useful metric the aquarium hobby. Everything in the world has more value when it's fresher. That doesn't mean I don't reheat leftovers tomorrow.... In a practical sense, we could look at Dean's procedure. Most would consider him a successful aquarist. He feeds the brine after hatching for 36 hours, then again at 48 hours.

I think for those who are worried about min/maxing the brine shrimp. You can focus on water quality, or other live foods and that would have a greater impact on actually raising fish than the gains to be gotten from different brine shrimp hatch times.

awesome.  If its good enough for Dean its good enough for me!