Hello I've had this one since November of 2020 and I'm still not sure which it is at first i thought was a female but now as doesn't have a drawn out belly not sure. As you can see sure doesn't like snails or shrimp. Any help would be grateful thanks.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

Maybe this can also help.  I think both pictures where taking in the first week I got my group of 6. They are wild caught so still going through deworming. 

Male and female conveniently lined up above each other

1999969687_WhatsAppImage2021-03-26at21_10_55.png.861fb22dbaabdd356d19c3ca750f0dad.png

And from above

topview.png.850f1388262ca640426eb156cb726502.png

They are now completely dewormed and well fed, the difference is a lot easier to see now. If I get some decent pictures of how they are now with both sexes in it I'll post them to later.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 4:38 PM, Chadillac3006 said:

Hello I've had this one since November of 2020 and I'm still not sure which it is at first i thought was a female but now as doesn't have a drawn out belly not sure. As you can see sure doesn't like snails or shrimp. Any help would be grateful thanks.

spacer.pngspacer.png

@Chadillac3006 This is not the easiest one to sex. It's most likely a female (92%), but could be the chubbiestest male I've ever seen (8%). Either way it is the cutest puffer ever! (100%) 😉 

• Like 1

welp i bought another one after having my older puffer since November and my bigger puffer killed it over 2 days at first they were getting along but the next day the little one was getting beat up and sunday woke up and it was dead. im not sure why besides my bigger one has been so long since it seen another spotted congo puffer i bought a divider but since the weekend it wont be here until tuesday.

• 6 months later...

Love this thread--and this species! My little one may be too young to sex, but here goes nothing. It's about 1.5" - 2" in length. Bought a month ago. What do y'all think?

I'm enjoying him/her so much that I'd like to get a couple more, maybe even try to breed them. How many unsexed specimens could be safely and harmoniously stocked in a heavily planted 75 gallon or 90 gallon (either alone or with a group of Congo tetras and a single syndontis)? I'm less worried about maintenance issues than I am behavioral. They'd be from the same batch as this one and are all wild caught. Thanks! 

IMG-2271.JPG

IMG-2262.JPG

IMG-2265.JPG

IMG-2270.JPG

Edited by Harry
  • Love 1

• 6 months later...

Thanks @Odd Duck. the yellow vs white is a bit of a difference in my mekong groups along with patterning on the belly.  I defer to the spotted congo experts on this one I have onlybhad one years ago.

Posts and videos by @Preston John are my go to reference for spotted congo puffers he is a great resource for that species. I believe this thread below will help you

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 2:58 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

Thanks @Odd Duck. the yellow vs white is a bit of a difference in my mekong groups along with patterning on the belly.  I defer to the spotted congo experts on this one I have onlybhad one years ago.

Posts and videos by @Preston John are my go to reference for spotted congo puffers he is a great resource for that species. I believe this thread below will help you

I knew you’d at least know where to search!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...