Is it ok to have big rock structures with Multi's?

Yanni

Hi everybody, I wanted to set up a 20 gallon long with Multi's. I wanted to try and add some big rock structures as like an aquascape. Is this ok for the multi's? I've seen a lot of multi set ups and they usually don't have rocks. Just want to see if I can, also, if I can't, why not?

Multi as in Neolamprologus multifasciatus? If so, yeah it is fine as long as the rock structures will not collapse when they dig through your substrate, meaning the rocks are on the bottom of the tank, and then the substrate is added.

(the first thing that comes to my mind with 'multi' is Synodontis multipunctatus, sorry if I guessed wrong.)

• Like 2

Multi as in Neolamprologus multifasciatus? If so, yeah it is fine as long as the rock structures will not collapse when they dig through your substrate, meaning the rocks are on the bottom of the tank, and then the substrate is added.

Yep! Sorry if that wasn't clear. For multi's, I meant Neolamprologus Multifaciatus (That's a mouthful). Would it be ok to keep like 7 of them with some fry in a 10 gallon for a small amount of time (maybe a week or 2)? I don't have time to set up a tank for them but someone I know is giving some away and I need to go pick them up on Sunday. Will it be ok to keep that amount in a 10 gallon for a small amount of time? Also, how many can I keep per gallon? 

I would say as a quarantine type home for a couple weeks it should be fine. Make sure you have enough shells - for 4 shellies I have 36 shells. I keep guppy grass, anubias bartieri and coffeolia as well as valisineria in my brevis tank. We have a group of rocks secured with pond foam and silicone to block view of my sponge filter and provide a hide for the ones that get chased off. I have them in a 20 h which is my youngest sons tank. There’s also Sky from Paw Patrol and a pirates air driven chest. I keep white clouds as dithers and there’s a loan blue Hawaiian female guppy in there. Long term plan is a 40 breeder with the shellies, julies and cyps. 

064DFD66-EF4E-4630-B160-8C0B957850A1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I would say as a quarantine type home for a couple weeks it should be fine. Make sure you have enough shells - for 4 shellies I have 36 shells. I keep guppy grass, anubias bartieri and coffeolia as well as valisineria in my brevis tank. We have a group of rocks secured with pond foam and silicone to block view of my sponge filter and provide a hide for the ones that get chased off. I have them in a 20 h which is my youngest sons tank. There’s also Sky from Paw Patrol and a pirates air driven chest. I keep white clouds as dithers and there’s a loan blue Hawaiian female guppy in there. Long term plan is a 40 breeder with the shellies, julies and cyps. 

That's a gorgeous tank! Hopefully I can have a tank like that. Hopefully they won't have battle each other, I think I'll only have them in the tank for a week or two.

• Thanks 1

@Yannithey are messy, they’ll tear up anything you think is precious and redesign the scape how they see fit. They love good size water changes as they produce a lot of waste. I use marine salt “instant ocean” along with crushed coral, aragonite sand and our local rock with is fairly high in minerals to buffer the tank. They make lake cichlid buffers but when I compare the minerals in it vs marine salt I just can’t see the expense. I add 2 teaspoons per water change. I wish you nothing but luck and joy. They’re great little fish. I’m actually contemplating another tank with multies so look forward to seeing your build. 

• Like 1