Cycled or Not Cycled šŸ¤”

alcidmr

Ok here is my situation I been cycling my aquarium for over 6 weeks now, and I finally thought it was cycled because I got my readings at from 0.25 ammonia, 0.25 Nitrite, and 0 Nitrate about my 6th week in the cycle I finally got 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and 10 Nitrate so I thought I was cycled, so I waited a couple of days to get my starting fish then on my 3rd day of getting the fish my Nitrite started appearing again at 0.25 no ammonia and 10 Nitrate, so I did a 50% water change and got better to 0 then the same day wich is today started going up everything ammonia at 0.25ppm, Nitrite at 2.0,Ā Nitrate 20 or 40ppm what's going on am I cycled or not I'm I I had hair I would be pulling them out because is so discouraged and feel like quiting please some one help this poor guys I can't even sleep I'm putt fritz comple to keep them somewhat safe but not sure what else to do oh the only thing I can find a suspect is this stupid sponge Bob pineaple Ornament and is out just incase it was thatĀ sorry for this been so long story please halp.

I don't see a reason for nitrogen parameters to move that fast.Ā  I suspect there's some error in your testing.Ā  I also don't quite follow your chronology but if you only did the one test after a water change you may have ammonia or nitrate in your tap.Ā Ā  0.25 ammonia isn't aweful as long as your ph isn't 9 or something.Ā  It's true you should aim for 0, but don't beat yourself up over 0.25, unless you have something special you're fish will most likely be totally fine.

Even a cycled aquarium is going to take some time to "catch up" to the bio load of new fish as well.Ā  You could try slowing down on feeding, eg feed every other day or every third day for a week or two until your bacteria catches up.

• Thanks 1

@alcidmrĀ what size aquarium is this and how many fishĀ did you add in? What method did you use to cycle? It sounds like your beneficial bacteria will need some time to catch up to the new bioload. This can happen if your new source of ammonia (fish) is greater than the source of ammonia you used during cycling.Ā 

I would encourage you not to give up, you are very close to having a cycled aquarium. I would add a bottled live beneficial bacteria if you have it available to you. If not, water changes,Ā fritz completeĀ and patience will get your aquarium cycled.Ā 

5 hours ago, CT_ said:

I don't see a reason for nitrogen parameters to move that fast.Ā  I suspect there's some error in your testing.Ā  I also don't quite follow your chronology but if you only did the one test after a water change you may have ammonia or nitrate in your tap.Ā Ā  0.25 ammonia isn't aweful as long as your ph isn't 9 or something.Ā  It's true you should aim for 0, but don't beat yourself up over 0.25, unless you have something special you're fish will most likely be totally fine.

Even a cycled aquarium is going to take some time to "catch up" to the bio load of new fish as well.Ā  You could try slowing down on feeding, eg feed every other day or every third day for a week or two until your bacteria catches up.

Yeah i stop feeding for 3 days but yeah that's what I thought how is it that I just fid a 50% water change and then it shoots up that fast after hrs šŸ˜… man this is crazyĀ 

Do you have a picture of the aquarium? I am just trying to see what possible sources of ammonia there could be. Also, what source of ammonia did you use for your no fish in cycle? Have you ever tested your tap water?Ā 

You will have a small cycle every time you increase the bio load. Be patient. Water change if the nitrite or ammonia are above 0.5. Test daily until you are consistently at 0.Ā 
Ā 

all of the thought we put around cycling a tank, I believe our aquariums adapt to what is in them, so it wonā€™t fully stabilize until things stop changing. Go slow and you will be fine.

• Like 1

Iā€™m still in the cycling craziness šŸ„“myself. 5 gal plated tank with betta same day bc the pet store mislead me. And a 36gal planted tank no fish. cycling both currently. They are both sooo diffent. Itā€™s maddening sometimes. Feel free to chat the beginners frustration with me. šŸ˜
Ā @Isaac MĀ been helping me out a ton. So your not alone. Hang in there.Ā 

• Like 1

@alcidmrĀ I agree with @Goosedub, your beneficial bacteria are just trying to catch up to the changes made. I would imagine that your spongebob ornament is not the issue. Assuming it is aquarium safe and inert of course.

Your aquarium looks good though! I wanted the picture to see if your substrate or something else in the aquarium could be causing ammonia spikes but I do not see anything. I think at this point just monitor it daily and perform aĀ water change as needed. Your aquarium will stabilize with time.Ā 

Also, no need to feel alone, that is why we have this fish forum and community! Haha

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, Georgiapeach88 said:

Iā€™m still in the cycling craziness šŸ„“myself. 5 gal plated tank with betta same day bc the pet store mislead me. And a 36gal planted tank no fish. cycling both currently. They are both sooo diffent. Itā€™s maddening sometimes. Feel free to chat the beginners frustration with me. šŸ˜

Yeah thanks!!!!! coolĀ I have a 5 1/2 gallon also cycling has about 4 weeks in lol im just going let it be lol, don't want to jump the gun again lol

• Like 1

@alcidmrĀ If you have it handy I would say use it to give your aquarium a little boost. But if you have to go out of your way to buy it, I would just be patient and wait for the aquarium to stabilize itself. It is not ā€œneededā€ in my personal opinion.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Iā€™ve had ā€˜spottyā€ results with most of the bottled bacteria.

Iā€™veĀ never tried the Fritz product but have used both the offerings from Dr. Timā€™s and Fluval.

The Dr. Tim stuff never worked worth a damn for me, which was a serious disappointment because of the purported science behind it.

But the Fluval stuff worked surprisingly well.

in the end, Iā€™ve found that nothing works nearly as fast as adding media from an already established tank. Ā For those of usĀ with multiple tanks thatā€™s easy, but even those that donā€™t can usually get a ā€œdonationā€ from their local fish store (although many donā€™t use gravel substrates anymore, it seems).

But I think itā€™s even more important to choose the best method of adding and maintaining an initial ammonia source.

In ancient times, a fishless cycle meant throwing in some raw shrimp or dosing with fish food. Ā But itā€™s REALLY hard to maintain the optimal ammonia level this way. Ā I now use anhydrous ammonia solution to start the cycle. Ā Itā€™s way easier to maintain a level of 2-4 ppm ammonia (which I have found is the perfect amount) until nitrite starts to show up.

Edited by tonyjuliano
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Isaac M said:

@alcidmrĀ If you have it handy I would say use it to give your aquarium a little boost. But if you have to go out of your way to buy it, I would just be patient and wait for the aquarium to stabilize itself. It is not ā€œneededā€ in my personal opinion.Ā 

Ā got it šŸ‘thanksĀ 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 3:57 PM, Georgiapeach88 said:

@Georgiapeach88 quick question since your Ā cycling you two tanks also are u getting nitrate readings?

6 hours ago, alcidmr said:

@Georgiapeach88 quick question since your Ā cycling you two tanks also are u getting nitrate readings?

@alcidmrit tookĀ a while but yes all 3 tanks I have are getting some nitrate readings. Started the 5 gal and 36 gal back in April and tookĀ till May to get my ph up enough to get the ammonia levels to rise and finally start seeing nitrite & nitrate. I do add more beneficial bacteria every water change Iā€™ve done thusĀ far. Probably not really necessary but helps my ocd šŸ¤£Ā