Fish Suggestions for a 29 Gallon

Hello Fish Friends, 

I’m newer to the hobby and was looking for some suggestions on stocking a future 29 gallon tank. Currently I have a 10 gallon with 10 ember tetras and 5 amano shrimp. I do plan on moving my current fish over to the 29 gallon, along with adding additional fish.

I’ve watched so many videos in regards to community tanks and specifically about the fish and shrimp I currently have. I wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on what they found works well for them.

I would like to add some guppies, corydoras, and possibly a honey gourami.

Does anyone have experience with putting a honey gourami with shrimp. I’ve seen videos that say gouramis will chase your shrimp and other videos that said honey gourami are peaceful, and can be kept with shrimp. I wanted to see if anyone had success with keeping them together. 

Also would love to hear any suggestions or ideas. I do plan on heavily planting the tank as well.

Thank you,

Ariel

These are really personal choices, but ember tetras are one of my favorites of the tetras (along with Lemons).  I would add some Corydorus sp. and Apistogramma. I have next to zero experience with the Asian fishes (except snakeheads) so I cannot comment on the gourami. Hopefully someone else will comment.

I have a honey gourami with neos and amanos and they get along just fine. I've never seen the honey gourami chase after the neos but YMMV every individual fish has a its own personality. Since you stated that you are going heavily plant the tank you would be fine as everyone has a place to hide.

Corydoras are great! I love them so much they really peaceful and tend to keep to their own devices. They are also with my honey gourami and I actually see my honey gourami go all the way to the bottom to catch every bit of food. So much he will be right in the corydoras face as they share a meal.

Can't comment on guppies as I've never kept them or any other live bearer(yet).  I think your choices would work well all together.

I have in my 29 peppered corydoras, neon and ember tetras, a lot of cherry shrimp( they have had multiple babies), I got 2 free mystery snails and they bred a lot and a pair of panda guppies and she has had 4 spawns so a lot of guppies as well. They all get along well except most of the baby fry dont make it now. I'm going to be able to sell about 30 panda guppies within two weeks to lighten up the bio load and make a little bit of money for fish food.

Honey gouarmi prefer groups so if you add one you should add at least 3 and 5 works better. Can't comment on mixing honey and shrimp. For cory in a 29 i would recommend a group of pymgy - 10ish  - they can make a nice sight as they are one of the few cory that like to school (as oppose to shoal). If you don't like pymgy then stick to the smaller ones like panada or salt and pepper. Avoid the larger ones like sterbai and aeneus.  There are over 150 different types of cory so mentioning you like cory is a bit er open ended. Aspito will work well with ember but they will try to hunt shrimp in general. Still they can be a nice educational fish (borelli is what works well in a community 29). 

-

I'm loath to recommend other fishes not already mentioned simply that there are so many different fishes that can be recommended - the possible stocking are unbounded - just try to stay with smaller fishes - that are not too active. Remember a lot of time the fishes you buy at a pet shop are not adult so they might look small and cute in the store but after 6 months or a year become monsters in your tank so if you are unsure ask.

-

Oh and avoid dwarf gourami - these are popular fishes as many stores carry them and can be quite colourful  but they can sometime between rather violent in the tank. 

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1