Fishless Cycling

RyanR

I'm trying my first fishless cycle.  It's been going for about 4-5 weeks now.  I feed it every 2-3 days with various fish food.  I'm stuck on nitrites for about 2 or 3 weeks.  I've tried daily 30%-40% water changes for about a week with no luck.  Besides nitrites, ammonia is 0 and nitrates are 20-40 ppm.  Any suggestions on what I can try?  I'd like to get this to work.  All of my other aquariums I've put something cheap in the tank when I get close, but it would be nice if I didn't have to use fish in the future.

Ryan

8 hours ago, jerseychef said:

Do you have any seeded filter media you could add to the tank?

If you have some media in another tank, take some of it out, or even if its a sponge filter, squeeze it out into the new tank. Sometimes LFS will sell cycled sponge filters. I know when I used to work at an LFS we would sell a scoop of gravel out of a tank for people setting up new tanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

If you have some media in another tank, take some of it out, or even if its a sponge filter, squeeze it out into the new tank. Sometimes LFS will sell cycled sponge filters. I know when I used to work at an LFS we would sell a scoop of gravel out of a tank for people setting up new tanks.

Did they have under gravel filters? I've heard gravel won't have much BB without the flow. Angelsplus also sells sponges, I used two in a 30 gallon, worked great. You may get some snails though (I didn't). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

Did they have under gravel filters? I've heard gravel won't have much BB without the flow. Angelsplus also sells sponges, I used two in a 30 gallon, worked great. You may get some snails though (I didn't). 

The LFS i worked in did have UG filters in most tanks. It was an old school store, wish it was still around, he always got in some nice fish, along with the stuff not every store has.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

Thanks Bill, none of my tanks have undergravel filters.  I have HOB's on everything except this and my QT.  I'm not too much of buying preseeded media.  I'll squeeze a sponge from one of my other filters.

2 hours ago, RandyH said:

Ryan squeezing the filter into the tank is not helpful. The beneficial bacteria lives on the filter. It should br placed in the new tank until some bb can grow in the new tank.

That explains why the cycle never completed.  That's what I did the first time.  

34 minutes ago, RovingGinger said:

I sometimes use Marimo moss balls for the same purpose as a sponge. I don’t think it’s as instantly effective as adding a properly sized and seasoned sponge filter but it seems to be a good way to add some bacteria fast. 

I might try that.  I have quite a few of those.  Thanks.

On 9/14/2020 at 8:28 PM, RovingGinger said:

I sometimes use Marimo moss balls for the same purpose as a sponge. I don’t think it’s as instantly effective as adding a properly sized and seasoned sponge filter but it seems to be a good way to add some bacteria fast. 

Today, I was just listening to @Cory talk about how much he likes cycling with moss balls....good timing.

How to Cycle an Aquarium Fishless, With Fish, With Plants. #27

On 9/14/2020 at 7:43 PM, RandyH said:

Ryan squeezing the filter into the tank is not helpful. The beneficial bacteria lives on the filter. It should br placed in the new tank until some bb can grow in the new tank.

Actually squeezings from an established filter is noted here as one of the best inoculates:

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/2-11-inoculate-for-cycling/

The BB will certainly make its way into the filter. I'm actually trying compost on a tank I'm cycling right now, will report back when its done.