Acclimating mailed Amano shrimp

laritheloud

Okay, so I ordered some shrimp and they look amazing! All active and hopping and alive! I am going to be drip acclimating them for a few hours.

Big question: is this specimen container going to be safe to use for drip acclimation, or should I use a five gallon bucket? I know they jump but I don’t know if there’s enough water in the bag to cover the bottom of a bucket with any amount of depth.

0FE27D30-76EE-44D6-B1BA-FB78A747678A.jpeg

Just now, Trish said:

I don't know how big your specimen container is,  I usually put mine inside another bucket and use the airline drip acclimation method... if the water overflows just dump some out and keep dripping!  The shrimp won't escape with the extra bucket.  

Brilliant. Somehow I did not think of this. 🤣 I will carry on just like that! THANK YOU!

1 minute ago, laritheloud said:

Brilliant. Somehow I did not think of this. 🤣 I will carry on just like that! THANK YOU!

Glad your Amano's arrived swimming and happy! 

Edited by Trish
  • Like 1

Hi, I have cherry shrimp coming in the mail. Do they also require drip acclimation? I have seen some videos on YouTube and I have a 10gal container to do it in. Is there extremely high risk of acclimating the temperature and then just adding them to the tank?

• Like 1

Just now, Ponyoryx said:

Hi, I have cherry shrimp coming in the mail. Do they also require drip acclimation? I have seen some videos on YouTube and I have a 10gal container to do it in. Is there extremely high risk of acclimating the temperature and then just adding them to the tank?

What does the shop recommend for your cherry shrimp? I know that shrimp tend to be sensitive, and the shop I ordered from recommended drip acclimation.

@Ponyoryx drip acclimation is very easy with the airline method. I would highly suggest doing it for shrimp, it's just not worth the risk of a very expensive mistake to save an hour of idle work. To my knowledge all shrimp are sensitive to abrupt changes in water params and should be drip acclimated.

Edited by satisfiedghost
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Ponyoryx said:

Agree with everyone else. They are sensitive and expensive. Drip acclimation is so easy. If you haven’t tried it check @Irene’s YouTube, “Girl Talks Fish”, she has a quick tutorial to get you started!  

Get a smaller container such as @ laritheloud did and put it into a slightly bigger bucket.  Put half the water the shrimp arrived in in the small container and start the drip line. It's a good idea to check the PH of the fish store water to your own tank water, if you are lucky they will be the same.  Drip acclimation will help equalize this if it isn't.   Tape your airline so a section is inside your temperate tank.  You will need a flow regulator or clip to do a slow down the drip.  Once the container is over flowing dump and resume dripping at a slow but regular rate.  I cover with a towel to try and hold some heat in.  When most the old water has been changed, net them and put into your tank.. dim the lights for a while so they are not stressed.