Algae Control on newly setup tank

Cosmas.OS

Hello Everyone first time poster here.

so 2 weeks back i had the bright idea to make a dirted tank for the purpose of experience, but with horrible impulse control i now have both a crinum and an aponogeton madagascar in it, the last week i started seeing black beard algae on the crinum, should i be worried? i am thinking of adding a cleaner fish but i feel as though the cycle might not be ready yet. i added some shrimplets that's doing well growing up in the tank. i was thinking of adding maybe a single florida flagfish or maybe a single SAE but if they eat all the shrimplets i will probably feel bad. thoughts?

Tank Spec:

40 Gallon

Temp 29 Degree celcius (84 degree Fahrenheit)

PH, 7.7 TDS 210

Nitrate & Nitirie (not checked yet, will do after i buy another testing tube, the last one broke after i dropped it)

I recently had this problem in my dirted tank also on a crinum. I wound up trimming the worst of the leaves then spot treating the rest with Peroxide in one of those tiny syringes for baby medicine. The BBA turned pinkish a day or two later and then disappeared. I think the shrimp ate it. I also began dosing with excel to try and inhibit growth

For the most part for green water I think patience is the key--but if it bugs you to insanity levels UV sterilizers are fast and cheap. BBA I have been manually removing (look at me, I am a flag fish!) but my one big lesson from setting up many new tanks over the past few months is that each one goes through a settling in stage and over reacting to that stage is just going to cause more problems than it really solves. If you successfully kill the green water, something else will take its place, possibly something more annoying, like thread algae...

Right now, you just need more plants growing. While you are waiting for the roots of your substrate plants to get started I would add as many floating plants as possible. If something needs to take up nutrients, make it something you choose.

• Like 3

Thats the advice i was looking for, since i am new i never actually took care of bba without the help of SAEs it's my first dirted tabk and i am quite beffidled on how to handle things, it is a new tank and most of the plants havent rooted properly so i was thinking of letting it run its course, qill the bba wither away eventually if i took care of the excess nutrients? 

7 hours ago, Cosmas.OS said:

qill the bba wither away eventually if i took care of the excess nutrients?

I don't know if it will actually LEAVE without being removed, the stuff is tough. But it should definitely stop growing, and then you can remove it bit by bit if necessary.