Pre-filter Sponge Swap-Out

laritheloud

I want to swap out my old pre-filter sponge for an Aquarium Co-Op medium size (it's a snugger fit on my intake and I had a bladder snail casualty with my old sponge when it fell out of whack, I want to make sure no fish or fry will suffer the same fate). I'm trying to prevent any blips in the cycle and moved the old prefilter sponge to my air stone. Here's the caveat: I only run my air stone at night, and I run pressurized CO2 for six hours during the day.

Do I have to keep the air stone running 24/7 for the old sponge to still have any biofilter benefit, or can I keep my set-up? I just want to make sure my new pre-filter is seeded extremely well before removing anything. 

1 minute ago, Wingman12r said:

Just swap the sponge. It's only a small part of where the BB live.

GOSH I am just so gun-shy after using antibiotics on my tank a month and a half ago. Thanks for the reassurance!

Edited by laritheloud
It was a longer time ago than I thought lol

Hi @laritheloud, assuming you have other seeded biological filtration media in the filter you are adding the pre-filter to, I think your aquarium will be fine. Beneficial bacteria live on all the aquarium surfaces and the live plants you have will also help. I would simply swap it out. 

Also, this may be controversial but I would personally run my airstone 24/7 anyways. I added a link below to a thread about this and Cory shared his thoughts on it as well in that thread. Just something I thought I would mention. 

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/1505-airstone-dissipates-co2-into-the-atmosphere/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Isaac M said:

Hi @laritheloud, assuming you have other seeded biological filtration media in the filter you are adding the pre-filter to, I think your aquarium will be fine. Beneficial bacteria live on all the aquarium surfaces and the live plants you have will also help. I would simply swap it out. 

Also, this may be controversial but I would personally run my airstone 24/7 anyways. I added a link below to a thread about this and Cory shared his thoughts on it as well in that thread. Just something I thought I would mention. 

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/1505-airstone-dissipates-co2-into-the-atmosphere/

Oh, I like this idea of leaving the airstone running with CO2. The sponge is on my airstone and I did a water change last night, so I'll probably end up leaving it there for a week anyway (and yes, I definitely have biomedia/sponge/etc in my Aquaclear 50 filter, and when I'm through with the old prefilter sponge I am going to replace it with a small sponge filter that I can move from tank to tank).  Thank you @Isaac M!

• Like 1