Ich treatment in 40 gal fry tank

Thomas

So I stupidly thought that it was a good idea to put 30 Platy fry in a 40 gallon breeder tank all by themselves. This morning, I saw Ich on 2 of them. One with a speck on the pectoral fin and the other fry with two specks on its gill plate and mouth. I have begun treatment by raising the temperature to 86F. It’s an open-top with a HOB, so the depletion of Oxygen is not an issue. Unfortunately, it is also a planted and graveled tank. Does anyone have tips for me? Any would greatly be appreciated. I also want to add salt, but all I have at home is Great Value Plain Salt: no Iodide, but has Prussiate of Soda ? I should’ve left them in their little 3 gallon, but Petco was having a deal on tanks, so I bought the 40 gallon for $50, quickly seeded it from another tank, and added the fry, thinking that more room = faster growth rates. What a mistake that was. 

edit: added "fry" to Platy in first sentence

Edited by Thomas

Ich-X is so easy I can't imagine doing it any other way. No messing with temperature and no salt to mess with your plants. The container it comes in will do a 40 gallon a whole bunch of times. I had to treat my heavily planted 40 breeder once for Ich, all was well shortly. Follow the directions on the bottle.

• Like 1

Hi everyone! Thank you all for your helpful tips! I checked my fry this morning and it seems that only 1 fry still has it. But I think I'll take your advice and just cave in and buy Ich meds. But unfortunately, as much as I hear about the good qualities of Ich X, I am going to have to buy Seachem Paraguard instead since I can recieve as early as tomorrow with Amazon Prime. The Ich X on Amazon won't arrive till May 20.

Edit: Great news! I found Ich X on Amazon that has Prime! But I also have some new questions about the medication. My water has Seachem Safe in it, will that interfere with Ich X? Also, once the treatment is complete, approximately how long does it take for the Blue-tinted silicone to fade away?

Edited by Thomas