Are Frozen Tubifex Worms Safe?

quikv6

I bought a package for Hikari Frozen Tubifex Worms at my LFS. I have never fed these yet, but went down a rabbit hole of reading how tubifex worms should not be fed to fish at any cost, as they are rampant with parasites.

Hikari is reputable, but I obviously don't want to take the risk, if it indeed exists. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Freezing generally kills the kind of parasites one would be concerned about, I think it is more a live tubifex worm that is/was the concern. I have some fish that LOOVE them and some that couldn't care less about them. I tried them as an alternate to blood worms since I am allergic to those. They are defintely less universally appreciated than bloodworms, but being fed exclusively on one thing is never a good idea, so I chuck a cube in now and then as a treat

I'd never seen frozen tubifex worms, just the freeze-dried, but a quick Google revealed that Hikari does indeed make them. They claim to triple sterilize them. (Radiation? Chemicals? Heat?) They claim that makes them safe from parasites. I might be more concerned about how the triple sterilization affects the nutritional value and integrity of the worms. I just use the freeze-dried and my fish love them and I've never had an issue with parasites or other problems with them.

My Emerald Corydoras and my Colombian Zebra Pleco LOVE their tubifex worms. I use the same kind—the frozen Hikari. It’s fun to watch the corys slurp them up. They go crazy for them! I haven’t seen any ill effects after feeding them to my little fin babies for a month or so now. I feed them sparingly, more like a “cheat meal”, if you will, once a week 🙃