I think I bought 3 Koi for a 130 gallon pond by mistake

Xynasus

As the title say I'm pretty sure I bought 3 2in koi for a 130 gallon pond when they were sold to me as only goldfish. I was wondering how long I could keep them in there or if they will get too big. The pond is 18 in deep and 72 x 58 in I believe. There's no other fish in there and perfect conditions for them as of now. If anyone has any experience with this and can help with how I should proceed, I would appreciate it 🙂

maybe koi.jpg

It’s hard to tell from the pic. If they have little barbs in the corner of their mouth, and the mouths are downturned they’re Koi. No barbs and a mouth facing forward would be goldfish. 
If they’re koi I think you’ll be in need of a bigger pond in a year or two depending on how fast they grow. 

They look like koi to me. If I were you I would decide sooner rather than later about whether you wanna expand (read: triple) the size of their habitat or trade them out for actual goldfish. In my experience koi and goldfish are so cute and personable that you become rather attached and it's hard to re-home them when you've grown them out a bit and named them and all that. 

Young koi can get to twelve to eighteen inches in a year. (Twenty four inches isn't unheard of.) They'll be fine in a 130 gallon pond for that year, but then things start to get a bit crowded. Now some never reach  that size, but a decent line of koi should get at least twelve inches long after a year. There are relatively low cost "instant pond" solutions using above ground swimming pools as a pond that can let you house even very large koi for a bit. Digging a larger pond with a liner isn't all that difficult either. I'd let things be for a bit. See how they grow. If they're growing too fast, you can find pond owners who will take them off your hands for you. I'm kind of intrigued that you have a grocery store that sells fish. I've never seen that around here. Interesting.

• Like 1