How long can I leave my fish tanks?

Chlo

My family is planning our vacation for this summer, and we would have to leave home for about 2 weeks. I was wondering if this is too long to leave my fish?? I would get automatic feeders but the water wouldn't be changed while we are gone. I have two 5 gallons betta tanks and one 20 gallon I am still stocking. I'm kind of worried because smaller tanks get dirty quicker than bigger tanks. Although I tried testing how much nitrate one of my betta tanks produces per week, and it went from 5 ppm nitrate to between 5 and 10 ppm, which isn't that much (I think). So do you guys think I can leave my fish tanks for this long? Thanks!

Two weeks with no food may be a bit excessive. Fish constantly eat, so If the aquarium has alot of algae this could help extend the time between zero food. 

In my personal opinion, I'd probably not go longer than 5-7 days depending on how 'well fed' the fish are. You could get an auto feeder and feed very lightly every day. The nitrate buildup could be not too much of a problem. Between 5-10 nitrate in one week is honestly ideal with a tank with no live plants. So if the small tank is fed at the same rate over two weeks you may be looking at 20ppm or so which is fine. 

Nitrates have to be excessively high to be very harmful to fish. Normally fish suffer nitrates if they go from a low nitrate aquarium (fish store) to a home with high nitrates (old-tank syndrome). That kind of immediate-spike could stress them enough to cause problems. But if the nitrates are slowly gradual, the fish acclimate. Then you just do a waterchange when you get home. 

There are also those vacation feeder blocks you can look into. Some of them feed up to three bettas over a week, so maybe one would do it for a two week trip. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Solidus1833 said:

There are also those vacation feeder blocks you can look into. Some of them feed up to three bettas over a week, so maybe one would do it for a two week trip. 

I've seen those, but I've heard people say those aren't the best because they can cause an ammonia spike??

If I get an automatic feeder and do a water change before and after our trip, do you think it is safe to be away this long?

I wouldn't feed during this two weeks at all. Maybe have someone come in once on the weekend, but other then that no feeding. With 0 feeding, less amonia/ nitrites will be caused.

Also don't worry too much about your bettas, they are one of the hardiest fish EVER. They will be just fine for two weeks.

Not exactly sure whats in your 20 gallon but I'm sure that'll be fine too.

Fish dont just eat the food provided by their human but also the food that you cant see.

2 minutes ago, James Black said:

I wouldn't feed during this two weeks at all. Maybe have someone come in once on the weekend, but other then that no feeding. With 0 feeding, less amonia/ nitrites will be caused.

Also don't worry too much about your bettas, they are one of the hardiest fish EVER. They will be just fine for two weeks.

I guess they might be fine, but the whole trip I would probably be worrying about them...

I would not put anything like  a 'vacation feeder' in the tank given the length of your trip. If you use sponge filters that would be a bonus as it collects biofilm that the fishes will munch on - so that can be helpful. If you have a friend that wants to drop in a few bits of food (you could pre-measure it so they don't over feed) once or twice while you are gone that might be helpful.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, anewbie said:

I would not put anything like  a 'vacation feeder' in the tank given the length of your trip. If you use sponge filters that would be a bonus as it collects biofilm that the fishes will munch on - so that can be helpful. If you have a friend that wants to drop in a few bits of food (you could pre-measure it so they don't over feed) once or twice while you are gone that might be helpful.

Unfortunately I don't have a sponge filter and I don't think I can have someone come over to feed them. Maybe I can get automatic fish feeders but feed every other day, so that the water won't get too dirty?

10 minutes ago, Chlo said:

Unfortunately I don't have a sponge filter and I don't think I can have someone come over to feed them. Maybe I can get automatic fish feeders but feed every other day, so that the water won't get too dirty?

Probably neither cost effective nor safe - but if you do get one be sure to test it for at least a week before you leave as they can jam or do a food dump - neither of which is going to make you happier than doing nothing.

I have to travel for two weeks in July, and I decided my best option was to have a good friend come over and feed every few days. I'm going to create extremely detailed instructions, labels, and use pill organizers placed on the top of each tank filled with portioned out food (save for the 75 which will get 3 cubes of frozen brine shrimp since I don't think my friend would be too happy tongs feeding tilapia). I'm also going to hide the rest of the food in the basement fridge so there will be no temptation to over feed. 

A problem I do have is my pea puffer, but I'm just breeding a billion snails in a 5 gallon in the mean time, and then will put him in it before I leave so that he can just pick off the population. Hopefully that will last him while I'm gone. 

1 minute ago, H.K.Luterman said:

I have to travel for two weeks in July, and I decided my best option was to have a good friend come over and feed every few days. I'm going to create extremely detailed instructions, labels, and use pill organizers placed on the top of each tank filled with portioned out food (save for the 75 which will get 3 cubes of frozen brine shrimp since I don't think my friend would be too happy tongs feeding tilapia). I'm also going to hide the rest of the food in the basement fridge so there will be no temptation to over feed. 

A problem I do have is my pea puffer, but I'm just breeding a billion snails in a 5 gallon in the mean time, and then will put him in it before I leave so that he can just pick off the population. Hopefully that will last him while I'm gone. 

This is close to what I do. As I have a dog, I already have someone stay at my home while I'm away. For my aquariums, I separate portions out in baggies with dates and then 'tack' them on the wall near their respective tank. I forgoe all frozen foods during this time. Just flakes, wafers, and pellets

We have two auto feeders from Amazon.  They were inexpensive and seem to work well. We have several 2-3 week trips planned and I’ll just have a friend check on them occasionally. I admit that all the above comments have made me a little nervous. I’ll be sure to double check these things before I leave. 
Auto Fish Feeder, Moisture-Proof Electric Auto Fish Feeder,Aquarium Tank Timer Feeder Vacation &Weekend 2 Fish Food Dispenser https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QCLHXWG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_68719Y5PPZK8E03R6FCF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Patrick_G

A lot of good advice here. I will add my own experience with going away for two weeks.

6 tanks, fed everyone really well the week before. Cleaned the tanks and did a 75% water change the day before. No feeding while I was gone except for existing algae and snails in the pea puffers tanks. Came back to no deaths, cleaned and did a 75% WC, and resume feeding. The Betta did bite his tail, but has since recovered.

I think overfeeding is a riskier proposition than fish going without food for a week or two. They seem to manage to find little bits here and there, but it also depends on the fish.

I have never tried the vacation feeder, but it sounds like having it release food every three days may give you peace of mind and not foul the water too much.

Edited by eatyourpeas

It sounds like having an automatic fish feeder won't be the best... I actually think we know someone who can come a couple times a week to feed our fish. I'll also make sure to do a water change before we leave.

What I would do is either not feed or ration out some food so when someone does come to feed they do not over feed. I was gone for 10 days a few years ago and the person that came to feed my fish killed them with ammonia poisoning. You have to be very careful with having people feed your fish. 

What fish do you have in the tank?

The two 5 gallons have bettas, and I just added 4 platies to the 20 gallon. I might wait until after summer to add all the fish I planned to stock the tank with, because the water will get dirtier faster. Although some things say in a 20 gallon you only need to change water every two weeks.

16 minutes ago, Chlo said:

The two 5 gallons have bettas, and I just added 4 platies to the 20 gallon. I might wait until after summer to add all the fish I planned to stock the tank with, because the water will get dirtier faster. Although some things say in a 20 gallon you only need to change water every two weeks.

If it was me with that stocking I would not worry about feeding. The fish will be hungry when you get back but they should be fine!

Best of luck!