Hello From the Netherlands 🇳🇱

Hey everyone!

My name is Danny (37), and I've been in and ouf the hobby for at least 30 years. I've kept newts/salamanders for a long time, and since about 5 years I've been back into fish as well.

Since last year (thank you, pandemic) I've been slowly building my own dedicated aquarium room, and I hope to 'finish' that this summer. I've also become addicted to outdoor ponds (in my case, balcony tubs) and carnivorous plants (thank you, Rachel 'O Leary).

I heard about this forum this week (been binging livestreams for the last week or so..) and just hád to sign up and join in. I love dedicated forums and am happy that there are more people that agree with me on this.

I hope to learn a lot here, and maybe I'll be able to help some people out in the future as well.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2021 at 3:13 PM, Diving Aquarist said:

I've been slowly building my own dedicated aquarium room, and I hope to 'finish' that this summer.

I hope to learn a lot here, and maybe I'll be able to help some people out in the future as well.

"Finish" does seem to need quotation marks around here. Haha! 

Learning and helping is exactly what this forum is all about. Quite a bit of empathizing and celebrating too. I think you'll like it. 

Welcome!

• Like 1

Welcome! Both my mom’s parents were Dutch and emigrated to the States in the 1950s. My grandmother grew up in The Hague. We’ve recently discovered that my mom, most of her siblings, and their kids are eligible to become Dutch citizens, so maybe one day I’ll be able to say “hello from the Netherlands” as well!

Glad you’re getting back into the hobby!

• Like 1

I will certainly post pictures etc of my tanks and animals in the future. Right now, my tanks are in the 'The-fishroom-should've-been-finished-last-year-and-I-seriously-neglected-the-tanks' look. Fish are all perfectly fine, and that's what counts. I am planning on posting 'before' and 'after' pictures when the room is in use. Just need to get a cheap floor installed and build the racks.

Getting all the newts and salamanders I want to keep and breed again will be a multi-year thing, since they are quite rare and expensive.

My carnivorous plants took a beating this winter (sudden abnormal cold snap, and couldn't prepare), so I don't know how they will recover. The spring has be unusually cold as well, so everything is at least a month behind, might even be 2. It is really only my 2nd year, so I'm in full learning mode. My indiginous sundew seeds are starting to germinate, so I'm pumped about that! I also built a small bog-tub for them about a month ago. It is still in a big of a sorry (empty) state, but I'm slowly going to fill it with plants.

And yes, Dutch people are like weeds, we are everywhere. If we ever discover extraterrestrial life, they will be offspring of Dutch people 😄

• Haha 3