Any arborists out there?

PatO

Hello everyone, not sure if anyone out there can assist me with a concern I have with a tree in my yard, but I figured since nerms are nature enthusiasts in general, someone might be able to give me their thoughts. I have a mature maple tree in my backyard that we think is about 35 to 40 years old. In recent years, little chunks of bark have begin begun to separate from the trunk. This past year, a large piece of bark separated from the trunk. My concern is that the tree is on a slow path to death. The tree did we leaf out this spring but it does appear that I had more limb die off this winter than previous years.  Any one out there with experience with such an issue?

CCB65038-1275-4D77-AF82-8E0ABD8B2F69.jpeg

D78513BC-F7CF-46BB-9222-79FFBD37304E.jpeg

I'm no arborist either,  but my gut reaction is that your tree is dying. The process could take many years.  Some clues could be increased bird/insect activity around the tree, or the appearance of mushrooms near the base indicating rotting roots.  It is possible that a fungal or insecticide treatment may help, but for that you should get a professional opinion.

Your community or county may have an arborist or extension agent willing to come out and take a look, or at least look at your pictures.

Thank you both for your replies. I’m trying to locate an arborist but most listed on their site are tree service companies who aren’t calling me back to come look at the tree. I’m still trying though. Thanks again.