Yeast based CO2 not generating enough pressure

BaRanchik

Hey!

I wonder if anyone has had any experience with the yeast-based system.
I'm using MJ's recipe and it's working, and releasing lots of CO2 bubbles - 1-2 per second, and it should be enough for my 10gal tank.

The problem starts with the diffusers.  I don't know how much pressure needs to be in the system for them to work, but I definitely don't have enough. I I let the pressure build up and now my bottles are holding so much CO2 it's hard for me to even squeeze them. From the water bottle I have an airline tube that goes straight to the diffuser.

Bubbles just won't come out.... I've tried 2 different diffusers and the result is the same. The pressure builds up so much that it's hard for the CO2 bubbles to keep coming out of the bottles, and still no luck with getting that CO2 in my tank. For the last few days I've been experimenting with this and it seems to be the diffusers. Both are brand new.

Is it just that this system is not meant to be used with diffusers? I know others have success with it, so I wonder what's going on.

Right now it's connected to an airstone, and the bubbles are pretty small, but nothing compared to a normal diffuser.

Edit: Trying manually to blow air as hard as I can into those diffusers also does nothing (I don't know if it's useful info though.)

Edited by BaRanchik

I'm using the same recipe, and only for a few days now. But with the diffuser form Co-op i've had enough bubbles coming out. lots at first when the yeast was eating up the sugar water, fewer bubbles now, though they are consistent. 

2 hours ago, lkly said:

I'm using the same recipe, and only for a few days now. But with the diffuser form Co-op i've had enough bubbles coming out. lots at first when the yeast was eating up the sugar water, fewer bubbles now, though they are consistent. 

Really? That's strange. I guess it's the diffuser's fault. I'll have to get even more of those. How many hours/days before bubbles began coming out of your diffuser?

2 minutes ago, BaRanchik said:

Really? That's strange. I guess it's the diffuser's fault. I'll have to get even more of those. How many hours/days before bubbles began coming out of your diffuser?

I had the stone soak over night while my gelatin set. After the system was set up, it took about 15-30 minutes. 

• Like 1

As someone mentioned above, most of the ceramic diffusers require quite a bit of pressure to push the fine bubbles through. I have one I just bought recently that the package says requires at least 30psi to operate . I have a pressurized system and already had the regulator set at 40psi so it was fine, but I am not sure that the DIY co2 will build that kind of pressure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BaRanchik said:

could you send a picture of your setup?

`

3 hours ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

As someone mentioned above, most of the ceramic diffusers require quite a bit of pressure to push the fine bubbles through. I have one I just bought recently that the package says requires at least 30psi to operate . I have a pressurized system and already had the regulator set at 40psi so it was fine, but I am not sure that the DIY co2 will build that kind of pressure.

4 hours ago, lkly said:

I had the stone soak over night while my gelatin set. After the system was set up, it took about 15-30 minutes. 

So after reading both your comments I have decided to get a pressurized system, with a decent canister to replace the plastic bottles, and I'm going to use the baking soda recipe. Hopefully either the diffusers I have will work, or the one that comes with the canister will. I have given up with yeast because for some reason there just isn't enough pressure for me.