Has anyone filtered aquarium water through RO to use again?

Aquatic Journal

Hello,

This is a random question but I’m curious if anyone had done anything similar. I am looking to setup a fish room where there is no running water. 3/4 of the year I can just run a hose in for water changes but during the winter that will be a bit hard. I’m curious if anyone is setup a water purification system to purify the water coming out of an aquarium to reuse during the next water change? 

Though I do not know for sure, but these are my thoughts, I imagine it would be similar to reusing reject water from the RO.  What happens when you do that is a large increase in scaling that fouls the RO system.  So most likely you would need to use it injunction with a tubular membrane system to reduce the scaling before reusing it. 

Edited by Ben_RF
clarity
  • Like 1

Not sure what your goals are with this fish room, but I think your better route might be to take the 9 'up' months to get your tanks cycled and seasoned, heavily planted, and understocked so you can (hopefully) avoid water changes for 3 months. Will likely still have to bring in some water to replace what's removed by evaporation and cleaning filters, but a lot less than you would otherwise.

In theory a filtration system like your describing should be possible (this is essentially what municipal water utilities have to do), but I suspect it'd end up costing more than buying RO from your LFS for every water change.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ben_RF said:

I imagine it would be similar to reusing reject water from the RO. 

As @Ben_RF points out, it is similar to using the reject water. My system does this by having a second membrane in line with first membrane. It is called a 'water saver' system.

The reverse osmosis system works by sending pressurized water through a membrane. The issue I see would be introducing the aquarium water back into a pressurized system. The first solution that comes to mind is collecting aquarium water in to a holding container and then using some sort of booster pump to pressurize to water enough to make the RO system work.

But in theory at least, this is possible.

I think in my water saver system the ratio of product to reject is 1:1.5 which probably as good as you will ever get. So if you were able to get this to work you would still require a significant input of new water with every water change (for the same sorts of reasons perpetual motions machines require inputs of energy from outside the system).

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Sykes said:

Not sure what your goals are with this fish room, but I think your better route might be to take the 9 'up' months to get your tanks cycled and seasoned, heavily planted, and understocked so you can (hopefully) avoid water changes for 3 months. Will likely still have to bring in some water to replace what's removed by evaporation and cleaning filters, but a lot less than you would otherwise.

In theory a filtration system like your describing should be possible (this is essentially what municipal water utilities have to do), but I suspect it'd end up costing more than buying RO from your LFS for every water change.

Thanks, I think this isn't a bad idea. And it isn't as much about buying RO water but about hauling gallons of water into my fish room in the winter. I have 265 gallons currently running which means a 20% water change would be over 50 gallons (10 5 gallon buckets to haul). I am basically trying to avoid doing that whenever I want to do a water change. 

Thanks for all your input guys!

I checked in with our water treatment guys at work and they pretty much told me something very similar to what @Danielsaid above. And yes the term he used is correct called a 'water saver' system.  And without spending a fortune, @Daniel is correct that the best you will get is around 1:1:5 .

Edited by Ben_RF
accidentally hit enter