Fluval 406 Canister Filter Rattling and Impeller Cover Falling Off

HenryC

Has anyone had this problem with a fluval canister? I got my 406 canister for some time now, but a few months ago it started to do this horrible rattling sound, as if the impeller is hitting something, or is stuck, and then it stops cause the impeller cover falls off. It always happens after a water change, it is so bothersome that I've considering just thworing it to the trash and just buying an internal filter or even a hang on back. I just need it for mech filtration since I got multiple sponge filters.

I even bought a new impeller, ceramic shaft, gasket and impeller cover but it still has this problem. I also make sure to expel all air and clean the impeller thoroughly before plugging it but this problem always comes up. It's always the same: Plug in - > work for 3 seconds - > CRAAAACACARCRCRC - > stops cause impeller cover comes off - > Open it to put impeller cover back up then rinse and repeat lol

I'm on my wits end lol, now I know why Cory hates canisters. I've sent multiple e-mails to fluval but they #trippin and haven't got a reply. I'd be happy to have just sponge filters but I like my water to be clear so I need mech fitlration.

Any suggestions?

Hello! I have had something similar. I have a 407 and after about a year after I bought it I noticed the strength of the water had extremely decreased. Mine has also been much louder than before. I've never had propeller fall of though. I hope you get a reply from Fluval because I might be able to use their solution on mine too. Sorry I don't have any tips.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics said:

Hello! I have had something similar. I have a 407 and after about a year after I bought it I noticed the strength of the water had extremely decreased. Mine has also been much louder than before. I've never had propeller fall of though. I hope you get a reply from Fluval because I might be able to use their solution on mine too. Sorry I don't have any tips.

I had the same issue after buying a replacement tune up kit.

I called Fluval to ask them about this and they ended sending me a free kit. Never even asked how old the filter was. 

The new impeller cover did finally stay on but I then changed the impeller again some time after this. I threw out the old cover and started using the new cover and guess what? It falls off again. Lol

I press so hard on that cover and hear it click and somehow it still falls off.