Starting a Pond Business?

Hey everyone!

I have recently posted a "ponds for sale" poster in my town, and I have now gotten a few people who are interested. Actually just today someone stopped by my house and say my ponds, and said "your hired".  I am really excited, because honestly I would pay money to build ponds so... yeah. 🙂 I am now wondering what is some advice that may be useful, like customer service, common issues, newbies common misinformed ideas. Just anything that may come in common, I know I sounds pretty vague, so what I mean is anything that I should I know. Like Cory gave some advice to fish store employees saying "everybody thinks there tank is huge even if it is only a 20 gallon." You know what I mean if you say that video. Thx!!! 

This topic could be it's own forum. I won't pay to build a pond, but beer and pizza will get you pretty far.   I'm assuming that you are talking about a backyard pond business.

The best advice I can give is listen to the customer.  Remember that you are building their pond not yours,  I've built several backyard ponds for myself and friends, and find that they rarely have a clear picture of what they want or what is involved on day one.  

Good luck with your endeavor. 

• Like 1

One thing I learned from a person who was new to construction recently is that if you're setting a price, be sure to include "cost of materials may be adjusted and increase price" or some other such wording--this guy bid a garage roof then the prices of supplies skyrocketed due to COVID supply issues, and he ended up losing money on that job--he had to PAY to do the work.  You don't want to be in that situation 🙂 

• Like 2

@FriendlyLoachcan we see your pond!?

I am determined to build my own garden pond n the near future. I’ve been softening the Mrs. up to it. She isn’t worried about me building it, but she doesn’t want to give up much of the yard. Last week I put a basketball goal in the side yard. One step closer to making room for me in the backyard. Haha. 

I’ve worked retail and I’ve worked construction. One thing you HAVE to do is set the expectation for your customer, and get EVERYTHING in writing. 

A lot of time in construction the customer would have a vision that there was no way I could accomplish. You need them to be aware of what can be done and you need their approval. Always deliver on what you promise, but don’t write a check you can’t cash because one big mistake can tank your reputation. Set the expectation and then make sure you awe the customer with your completed work. 

Edited by Mitch Norton
  • Like 2

Under promise and over deliver.

Anything yard work related always takes twice as long and is twice as expensive.  Over estimate your time and material to start out.  If things go as they normally do, you will be right on time and on budget from your inflated estimates.  If everything goes fantastic and you are done early and below budget the customer will be over the moon!

Make sure you check to see if you or the landowner need permits.  And if you are close to a property line get a survey!!!!  Never take the landowner or Realtor's word for it.  If you don't see monuments in the ground or the fence isn't already built beware. There is nothing worse than getting something built and finding out its on the neighbors property. (Shameless plug as this is what I do for a living, but I've seen it thousands of times)

• Like 1