Keeping wood submerged

Rudles

Looking for ideas for keeping wood submerged. I've been soaking this for about two weeks and it's still not waterlogged. The last time I tried using it in my present 20 high I soaked it for a couple of months and it still floated. 

I'm wanting to attach Anubias Nana Petite to make it look like a deciduous tree.

Screenshot_20210510-183222_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Rudles

get a piece of slate for a base. drill a hole through the slate, then screw the slate to the wood. you can now take the piece and put it in the tank, and push the slate down into the substrate if you dont want to see it. it wont float.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rudles said:

Lol, tried that this afternoon. Couldn't drill through it. If worse comes to worse I may have to try to masonry bit.

Use the masonry bit, it will go through the slate like a hot knife through butter. Use a stainless steel screw when attaching driftwood to the slate, you can get at any hardware store. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you have a pot big enough for the wood, put the wood in, fill it with water and boil it for 2-3 hours if not a little more. The piece looks pretty thick but I’m unable to tell if it’s big. 

Edit: forgot to mention to put something heavy like a rock or something else to keep it submerged while boiling. 

Edited by J Cor
  • Thanks 1

Boiling the wood won't guarantee it won't float after but that it will rot sooner than it normally would after decades in the tank. The slate method is your best bet to keep a stubborn piece from floating if you've already tried soaking it for several months.

• Thanks 1

When I had the same problem with a big piece of cypress in my old 55g I was able to tie monofilament/clear fishing line to a splinter on the bottom and then tie it off to a clear silicone suction cup from the hardware/big box store (after boiling clean). Scraped substrate out of way, got the suction cup tight to glass, smoothed gravel back and had no more floating probs. But note if you go this route it is pretty physical so best to lower the water volume enough it is less messy/splash the top swimmers out on accident, etc)

• Thanks 1