Peaceful Betta Advice

Rudles

Maybe not so much a "sub species" but females do tend to be more peacful then males.

If you still want a male, species with big tails tend to be more peacful. I beleive that they could still have the same nasty temper as others but that its hard for them to catch a fish or eat a shrimp because of their big flowly fins, it slows them down. Where as Plakat Bettas tend to be more agressive because they have smaller fins.

I currently have a halfmoon betta with neon tetras, and he's VERY freindly to them. From what I've heard is that the average betta will do fine in a community setup. Of course it varys from each individual betta.

What I like to do to determine if my betta is "tank mates safe" I do the following:

• Stick my finger in the tank
  • Observe his behaivor
  • Is he flaring at it, or attacking at it? If so probably not the best idea to add tankmates
  • Or does he simply not care about the finger and continues on with his activites? If so he'll most likely be fine with tankmates.

Species of Bettas that I would recemend would

• Halfmoon
  • Dumbo Ear Halfmoon
  • Crown Tail
  • Viel Tale
  • Butterfly Tale
  • Twin Tale
  • Theres litterly so much more different kinds of bettas with flowy fins, but these probably have the longest and "flowiest" fins.

Heres my Halfmoon Betta named Hugo:
image.png.1817039c63cd594389e31c1091ba3afc.png

Edited by James Black
  • Thanks 1

These days the females look spectacular and they’re generally less aggressive. I’ve had two in a community tank. 
@James Black, I’m sure you’re right about the long fins being more peaceful, but my last two were an exception to the rule. The Plakat was very mellow and the Crowntail is more feisty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick_G said:

These days the females look spectacular and they’re generally less aggressive. I’ve had two in a community tank. 
@James Black, I’m sure you’re right about the long fins being more peaceful, but my last two were an exception to the rule. The Plakat was very mellow and the Crowntail is more feisty. 

It wasn't that there any more "less or more agressive" but that its harder for them to get something like a shrimp because their fins slow them down. Of course it varys on the individual betta.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1