The War on Algae

Ok , bought a glass lid at lfs , and a light off co op website among a few other things , having issues with algae growing almost faster then I can clean it on the glass lid . Any thoughts ? I have two snails and they keep the tank clean but they don't get the lid so wasn't sure if any one else has this issue , 10 gal tank , planted , two snails and two tetras in it , only using a sponge filter with air stone ,  ordering test strips today but water doesn't smell bad . Just a little earthy ,  also having some plant yellowing and die off , will follow up with water parameters when I get the strips 

Algae on the glass lid is common. Especially with a sponge filter. I have to clean the algae off my lid at least once a month. When I notice the algae I turn off the filters, pull the lids and scrap them into my changed tank water with my algae scrubber. It’s one more thing to do, but the only way to slow it down would be to lower the water level. I hate the look of a water line at the top of the tank. I would rather clean the algae than see the water line. 

On the yellowing leaves, this graphics should help. 

4ED70D68-32CD-4ED8-B65C-7E81B8EA463C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mitch Norton said:

Algae on the glass lid is common. Especially with a sponge filter. I have to clean the algae off my lid at least once a month. When I notice the algae I turn off the filters, pull the lids and scrap them into my changed tank water with my algae scrubber. It’s one more thing to do, but the only way to slow it down would be to lower the water level. I hate the look of a water line at the top of the tank. I would rather clean the algae than see the water line. 

On the yellowing leaves, this graphics should help. 

4ED70D68-32CD-4ED8-B65C-7E81B8EA463C.jpeg

Screen shoted that thanks , yes I have the high water line as well . I will have to take a better look at the plants , this really helps 

• Like 1