How to Get My Bristlenose Pleco out of the Quarantine Tank

I have a LF super red pleco in the QT tank. He will be ready to come out soon and enter the 40 Gallon tank. I had a cave in there but he didn't see interested in it at all. He prefers to suck the small piece of wood, sponge filter and walls. I was hoping he would use the cave and I could just pick it up and move it.  I have an ACO cave in the 40G ready for him should I try that one? its a different style than the cheap water spike I was using. 

so.. How do I get him out? I am afraid to use a net. Any recommendations would be REALLY appreciated. 

He is not skinny but is not really interested in eating anything I give him. I am hoping that once he is in the larger heavily planted tank he will be much happier.

See 40G pic below 

20210508_173228.jpg

I use a net with my Super Reds (short-finned.). They may get caught in the net, but just leave the net hanging in the new tank for a few seconds and they'll untangle themselves and swim away. As to eating, mine love meatier foods like freeze-dried tubifex worms pressed against the glass, or shrimp pellets. They'll also eat French-style green beans. They'll nibble on algae wafers, but it's pretty clear they're not their favorite food. Tubifex worms are their favorite food, followed by shrimp pellets, and green beans.

4 minutes ago, Sandra the fish rookie said:

@gardenman mine won't touch Zucchini either. I do have some canned green beans that I will try when I transfer him/her over. 

So, how do I get him/her into the net? what if they are sucking the wall? 

I just put the net over them on the wall and give them a little nudge or two and they eventually unlock and try to swim away and end up in the net. They'll often lock out their fins when in the net and become a bit entangled, but I just put the net into the new tank and hang it there for a few seconds and they'll unlock their fins and swim away.

• Thanks 1

I didn't have a net large enough for my common pleco.  I used a 1 gallon wide mouth glass jar.  Placed on it's side, lower the water level in the QT  to prevent the pleco from swimming over the jar.    Depending on the size of the QT it should not be too hard to herd the pleco inside.  I've done it this way to lessen the possibility of damaging the fish.   Once inside just cover the end and transfer the jar, water and pleco to the 40g

• Thanks 1

I have a super red in a tank for grow out, and I was wondering the same thing about how to get him out when I eventually move him. I'll definitely try to sneak up on him when he's on the glass.

As for food, mine loves Repashy Soilent Green, Romaine lettuce and these sinking wafers I order from the Co-op:

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/fish-food/products/xtreme-cat-scrapers-sinking-wafer

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sandra the fish rookie said:

He/She is IN the 40G. It was sucking on the wood. I have clear isolation boxes that I use. I added aquarium water to one lifted the whole piece of wood while he/she was attached on it!! walked him over and in he went.. Easy peasy! 

Thanks everyone!! 

its always nice when they co-operate!

• Haha 1