Guppy had babies on Mother's Day!

Not only am I new to the hobby, but my female had babies! I was finally able to see her deliver a few it was really cool! Not so cool was watching some get eaten 😞.  I cut some water sprite from my 40G and floated it in the 20G for them to hide in. 

QUESTION: She is the ONLY female in there, I have 3 in the QT tank (that came from Mikes Fish Room).The male guppies are just chasing her NON STOP. I am super worried that she will get too stressed. What do I do? 

Put in my females from the QT tank? (They are 7 days post last dose of Para-cleanse. I have not seen any signs of disease as of yet).

Would this make matters worse? Do I remove her? My tank is heavily planted, so getting her out will be VERY challenging (a lot of places to hide)

Aww congrats on the babies!! That’s super fun!!

I personally only quarantine for a week, so I would throw the females in there, but maybe wait for other people to answer who actually follow full quarantining procedures. 😅

• Thanks 1

@lefty o That is what I thought. She is got a great hiding place where they can't get her. But I am concerned that when she comes out to eat, they will hound her .. I am really hoping that I have some female babies in the giant lot of babies in the tank. She had some in the QT tank but only 1 survived.. and looks like another male.. ugh

Is there any risk to the baby fry? They are pretty good at hiding up in the floating water sprite. 

@lefty o and @Hobbit I added they ladies into the 20G! Lights are out, and my blinds in my office are closed (lets hope I don't fall asleep on my desk)...

Fingers crossed everything goes well. There is a lot of excitement in there right now. The albino cory's buzzing around guppies everywhere, babies everywhere.. good grief.. this will take me out of rookie-hood quick! 

Do I need to do anything else to help with stress? or am I just being an over concerned fish keeper? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sandra the fish rookie said:

@lefty o and @Hobbit I added they ladies into the 20G! Lights are out, and my blinds in my office are closed (lets hope I don't fall asleep on my desk)...

Fingers crossed everything goes well. There is a lot of excitement in there right now. The albino cory's buzzing around guppies everywhere, babies everywhere.. good grief.. this will take me out of rookie-hood quick! 

Do I need to do anything else to help with stress? or am I just being an over concerned fish keeper? 

Sounds good. My only other suggestion would be to feed them now so they're a bit less likely to nom-nom on each other.  

Super cool about having babies on Mother's Day too! 

• Like 1

@lefty o & @CalmedByFishfor some reason they are still really after her. I have to wonder if they are hoping more babies will be arriving. Do they just want to eat them? or is it they want "in the vault" now that she is not giving birth?

They have all been together for a bit over 2 weeks.. and only last night and this morning do I see them really going after her... chasing her no stop.. I am hoping she will go back into her hiding spot soon.. poor girl 

1 minute ago, Sandra the fish rookie said:

@lefty o & @CalmedByFishfor some reason they are still really after her. I have to wonder if they are hoping more babies will be arriving. Do they just want to eat them? or is it they want "in the vault" now that she is not giving birth?

They have all been together for a bit over 2 weeks.. and only last night and this morning do I see them really going after her... chasing her no stop.. I am hoping she will go back into her hiding spot soon.. poor girl 

I think you said it would be hard to catch fish out of this main tank. Could you maybe let the girls stay, and try to catch the boys out? Even if you could only catch 1 to get it away from her, that's better than 0! All the boys you can possibly catch could just live in your quarantine tank for now... or even permanently, but that could be decided later.

If they're super hard to catch, one idea is to put the net in the water, then use your other hand to put the boys' favorite food right in front of the net.

• Like 1

@CalmedByFish Okay... that is a good idea.. I will give them a bit more time and evaluate them this afternoon/evening. Not sure if its just all the excitement all at once. Every time I looked in there last night and this morning.. I found more babies.. I do think the Corydora's are helping .. they are super active, and distracting everyone..LOL. 

She spent most of her time last evening and this morning with the peppered corydora's. They are very calm fish and I am wondering if she felt safe with them. 

3 hours ago, Sandra the fish rookie said:

She spent most of her time last evening and this morning with the peppered corydora's. They are very calm fish and I am wondering if she felt safe with them. 

Super interesting. Did you notice whether the boys could still recognize her among the cory crowd?