Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey all, just wanted to give a PSA I guess. Or get any input on my situation 
 

I’ve been having some algae problems (hair and bba) in my new display tank. When I was doing my water change today I figured why not use some hydrogen peroxide and get some of it killed off. So I lowered the water level as low as the fish were comfortable with and went to work spraying it onto where the algae has been growing. 
 

Fast forward about 45 minutes later, fish are gasping at the top and a Cory is swimming sporadically. I watched them for a little bit and saw no change so I hurried and did a 50% water change and I’ve left the lights on to speed up the breakdown process. 
 

So far I’ve lost 5 corys of my breeding colony and 1 discus. I expect I’ll have more losses when I wake up in the morning. Really hoping I don’t lose my expensive discus pair but we’ll see. 
 

Anyways just a heads up, it’s not hard to overdose it when you have your water level very low in a large tank. I’m sure everyone would be fine with the amount I added if the tank was full but with it being lower I assumed I’ve damaged the gills of the fish. I’ve treated dozens of tanks before and not had an issue but I definitely will just remove any scape with algae in the future before treating. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, PumpkinWeevil said:

Hey all, just wanted to give a PSA I guess. Or get any input on my situation 
 

I’ve been having some algae problems (hair and bba) in my new display tank. When I was doing my water change today I figured why not use some hydrogen peroxide and get some of it killed off. So I lowered the water level as low as the fish were comfortable with and went to work spraying it onto where the algae has been growing. 
 

Fast forward about 45 minutes later, fish are gasping at the top and a Cory is swimming sporadically. I watched them for a little bit and saw no change so I hurried and did a 50% water change and I’ve left the lights on to speed up the breakdown process. 
 

So far I’ve lost 5 corys of my breeding colony and 1 discus. I expect I’ll have more losses when I wake up in the morning. Really hoping I don’t lose my expensive discus pair but we’ll see. 
 

Anyways just a heads up, it’s not hard to overdose it when you have your water level very low in a large tank. I’m sure everyone would be fine with the amount I added if the tank was full but with it being lower I assumed I’ve damaged the gills of the fish. I’ve treated dozens of tanks before and not had an issue but I definitely will just remove any scape with algae in the future before treating. 

I would do a 50% water change and add an extra air stone and base dose the tank with prime

Edited by Colu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DShelton said:

I am curious how much you H2O2 you added and what its concentration was?

3%. I added a LOT. Like I said I’ve never had an issue with it before and figured being a 120 gallon it’d be fine and would dissipate quickly once I had the lights on. 
 

I’d guess I used 400 ml once I had soaked everything that needed it. I believe the max I’ve seen recommended is 35 ml per 10 gallons so that comes decently close to that number. But it was at 3 am last night and for some reason it hadn’t crossed my head that anything running off into the tank would be super concentrated because there was only 15-20 gallons of water left in the tank. 
 

Really just some stupid oversight on my part. Live and learn! 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...