How to level an aquarium (not the stand)

Kat_Rigel

Hi all, I recently built an aquarium stand which I have documented here: 

It's a little long though, so I wanted to ask a question separately with hopes of getting more eyes on it.

I built the stand as best I could (first time build!) and while I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, I have a big issue with the second shelf. My aquarium does not sit flush; there is a very obvious gap between the aquarium and the shelf. It was tough to get everything level and it looks like I failed in this particular instance. Is there any way to add some foam or a yoga mat or something to allow it to level? Right now a full tank would certainly crack and that's no good. If anyone has experience leveling tanks, please let me know. Most of the info I have found online talks about leveling the tank by leveling the stand, but that's not what I'm after.

The tank is an Aqueon 20 long with a plastic rim (no fancy rimless tank or anything like that.) Thanks!

20210509_171532.jpg

20210509_103909.jpg

4 minutes ago, ererer said:

Is it possible to loosen the plywood on the one side and use shims to level that side of the shelf?

That's a really good idea and I hadn't thought of it, but unfortunately I used Tightbond II wood glue. I tried separating some pieces I had used the glue on previously because I had made a mistake, and that glue was impossible to remove and separate. I'll keep this in mind for the second stand I'm building though.

The hardware store has nifty little shims that people use to put in doors and windows. I'd use the plastic ones on an aquarium. Just on the corners. Cut of the excess when you figure out how far it needs to stick in.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ken said:

The hardware store has nifty little shims that people use to put in doors and windows. I'd use the plastic ones on an aquarium. Just on the corners. Cut of the excess when you figure out how far it needs to stick in.

In theory, only the corners need to be shimmed, correct? That's what I'm seeing online, but just want to check. This sounds like a good idea, thank you. I'll start in this direction tomorrow unless another good idea comes up.

It might be out of level, but it looks like the problem is some warping of the plywood or maybe it’s not screwed down tight to the supporting piece of 2x4. I’d take the time to disassemble it and screw it down nice and tight. If that’s just not possible maybe put another piece of plywood on top of the warped piece and shim that one. If that sounds like to much go to Home Depot or a carpet store and get a piece of thick, modern closed cell foam carpet pad to use as a base. 

9 hours ago, tonyjuliano said:

Styrofoam.

Get a sheet a little bigger than the overall length and width, and that is about 1/2 inch thick.

place it underneath and the weight of the full tank will level itself.

I've read online that the styrofoam doesn't actually level it. I haven't tried it myself before; do you have experience of this working?

23 minutes ago, Patrick_G said:

It might be out of level, but it looks like the problem is some warping of the plywood or maybe it’s not screwed down tight to the supporting piece of 2x4.

That's quite possible, it was a very tight fit of the plywood. I didn't think about it causing an issue with warping but I makes sense. The plywood is glued on with Tighbond II and I have had no luck separating some other pieces that were glued together, so I don't think this one will separate either; hoping I can find a different solution.

4 hours ago, Kat_Rigel said:

I've read online that the styrofoam doesn't actually level it. I haven't tried it myself before; do you have experience of this working?

Yes.  It may require a bit of downward force after you put it in place, but this has worked for me in similar situations.

4 hours ago, tonyjuliano said:

Yes.  It may require a bit of downward force after you put it in place, but this has worked for me in similar situations.

Thank you, I always prefer to hear from people who have first hand experience. I did go out and buy some styrofoam and even without pressing down, it took out a LOT of the wobble. I discussed the physics of it with my husband and it does seem like it should work (we both have science backgrounds and tried to come at it from a theoretical standpoint.) We can't see any merit to the arguments that it will only hide the pressure points (we even drew a diagram with force arrows! Haha! We're such nerds.) So even though the internet is split on whether this is a good idea, I am willing to try it.

Thanks all for the tips. Unfortunately taking it apart or adding another piece of plywood is not really an option (for various reasons.)

The foam will definitely help with the stresses on the bottom of the tank so that the tank sits flush on something, as long as the foam is thick enough, but that is not generally where they fail when not level. They will usually fail higher up towards the top rim from the asymmetrical force the uneven water is exerting. On smaller tanks I have gotten away with up to 3/8” or so longways and 1/4” or so front to back.  

How much clearance do you have above the tank? Could you use some dimensioned lumber like 2x4 (or 6) along the long axis of the tank and then shim them for the tank to sit on?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kat_Rigel said:

(we both have science backgrounds and tried to come at it from a theoretical standpoint.)

A couple with similar thought processes to mine...

I’m an engineer, so I share your mindset.

Glad everything  worked out.

• Like 1