Iron in substrate

Rudles

It's not true that iron makes plants red or more red. The best way to grow red plants is to grow healthy plants, and this is acheived with a fertilization regiment that addresses both Macro and Micro nutrients. 

Usually, red plants love a rich aquasoil coupled with abundant light and CO². However, there are low tech options that grow well and I would put ST in the high tech category.

Dosing Micros into the water column is all you need, but you could certainly try prepackaged root tabs or Osmocote+. These should be able to supply a good balance of nutrients into the substrate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. Co2 is almost out of the question unless I do the soda bottle method as ALL bottled gasses have to come from Ketchikan, 90 miles away on a different island. 

I will be doing a dirted substrate using organic planting soil, Eco-Complete, fine gravel and coarse sand. 

Looks like it will definitely be low tech. I just looked up my light, a Nicrew Classic LED Plus and it's only 21 watts and I will be using it on a 29 gallon acrylic tank.