Java Moss Growth Rate

Hey everyone!
I'm planning out a tank right now where I will be breeding live bearers. With that being said I want a plant that can provide cover for the fry. Do you think Floating Java Moss is a good choice for that? I am also planning on using dwarf sagitteria  but I think I'm buying that in tissue culture so it will be quite small for the first few months.

I wanted to do hornwort, but I cant find that anywhere. Not even from a local hobyist.

Oh man, if we were allowed to trade, I would totally trade you some hornwort for some oto babies. 😁😁😁

Java moss grows pretty slow. I got some mid-November and glued it to some driftwood:F55FADF4-CD95-4886-95B3-7BCFCE31626C.jpeg.5c51012a0d25f83c61438e61fa6334c5.jpeg

Now it’s May and I’ve only trimmed it twice. It currently looks like this:

7DC4F8CD-D6A6-412C-84BF-748BC4A689B5.jpeg.24b0a1ad3f44bf03d4bc8ec521db5088.jpeg

Hopefully that gives you some idea. I should probably trim it again...

Edited by Hobbit
Just wanted to say—my plecos have been doing a great job on that wood!
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, James Black said:

Oh okay thanks @Hobbit

Anyone have any experience with water sprite?

I do! And I have a surprise tetra fry in my tank!

I have two kinds of mosses (Taiwan Moss and Java Moss) in my tank, along with a water sprite. Both mosses and water sprite provide excellent cover for fry. My little guy was hanging out near the java moss and water sprite all day and tucked himself behind some foliage whenever a big daddy/momma tetra came by. Water sprite is by far the faster grower, it's gained about 3 inches in the last two to three days alone, and I trim it biweekly. Give it a week to get settled and it should grow like a weed for you!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, James Black said:

Oh okay thanks @Hobbit

Anyone have any experience with water sprite?

Water sprite grows very fast. I got a small bit around two or three months ago, and it is huge now.

The tank when I first put it in:

20210127_102258.jpg.d2c1b08f241f4e078084f2fcb92dae87.jpg

The tank after a week or so:

881534453_Stage4PlantedAquarium.jpg.5ab08ca40bb95c52d39ae8ef27b81191.jpg

The tank now:

292668108_29GallonPlantedJungleCommunity2-27-2021.JPG.595d32938f27cf8213981491aff41cd7.JPG

Keep in mind that this is is pool filter sand with no added fertilizer, so it is a very hardy and easy-to-grow plant.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I also recommend water sprite, but just know it can be weird about what environment it likes. It doesn’t seem to need much, but some people just can’t get it to grow. I’ve had amazing growth with it in some tanks while in others it totally dies. It may be very sensitive to salt? It didn’t do well in my grow out tank where I was feeding unrinsed baby brine. My recommendation would be to let it float, at least at first—floating seems to cover a multitude of sins when it comes to water sprite. 😁

• Like 1

Agree that Water Sprite is MUCH faster growing and still provides great cover. As for mosses, Spikey moss is supposed to grow quicker than Java. I just bought both types a couple days ago so haven't had time to see if true or not, but throwing it out there. 

ETA: My Rotala h'ra seems to grow decently fast and can could be another fry cover plant when packed in bunches.

Edited by Kalita
  • Like 1