Snail problem

GanonDwarf2

I'm new to this forum so if I do something wrong I'm sry but I wanted to ask people on how to get rid of snails. I realized I would start having a problem with them today since they started showing up. I also realized how much algae was forming on my decorations and glass. I had gotten the snails from a plant I had bought from PetSmart without the knowledge that snail eggs were on them. I know snails are good for eating things in the tank but I don't like how they look and they creep me out. I wanted to know the best ways to remove them. I have a 20 gallon fish tank with 4 balloon mollies and 6 neon tetras.

Hi GanonDwarf, welcome to the forum. You will find there are a lot of people here that are very much in the pro-snail camp. I am in the pro-snail camp of the snails I can control breeding- like nerites and mystery snails. I've decided that for ME- eventhough I asked fellow forum members to convince me- not really into bladder, pond or prolific breeder snails. I also had some hitchhikers and have been doing DAILY culling (no other way to put it but daily squishing- I'm really not enjoying that part). You can also put a piece of romaine in the tank and apparently they gravitate towards it and you can remove that as they gather. You can also get yourself an Assasin snail who hunts and eats them. Now I know you said you're not fond of snails so that may not be an option but if they get ouf of control that's my plan- maybe you can ask your local fish store if you can "borrow" one, meaning buy it and return it to the store (not likely to get your money back). Honestly I thought it more humane to squish them than to have an assasin snail kill them- but that's just me. I have been putting some of them in my algae ridden bird bath, but I have nowhere else for them to go. Good luck. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
to clarify

Thank you but is there a better way to get rid of them cause I don't really want to kill them with my finger since I kinda wanna avoid touching them also since I would probably have to do that frequently cause i don't know how to spot their eggs. I also want to get rid of any eggs I have currently to prevent having to deal with snails in the future. I also wanted to ask how I could remove any snails on the plants I get before I place them in my tank.

Most of the small snails start out like a speck of dirt so I don't think you'll ever spot the eggs so it will be an ongoing issue unless someone else here has experience. As I said most people I think give up and let them stay or do what I'm doing. The only non squishing way without endangering your other tank inhabitants is to trap them with food (like the romaine trick I've been told about). 

Personally, all my plants now get a 1:20 bleach to water solution dip- but people also swear by an alum dip (Aquarium Co-Op has a video on plant dipping- with Irene). I also found a seller that guarantees no snails- so from this point forward I only either buy from them, or buy the Top Fin plants they sell at the big chain pet stores- I've never had an issue with those. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

also found a seller that guarantees no snails- so from this point forward I only either buy from them, or buy the Top Fin plants they sell at the big chain pet stores- I've never had an issue with those. 

When I learned that tube plants were grown out of water, and therefore no snails, I thought to myself that's the route I need to go.  But it's just a matter of finding the one you want.  Not much to choose from.  

• Like 1

@Gideyon yeah there really isn't much of a selection but they have the basics at least, java, swords, anubias. I can get the fancier plants from my other vendor. 

@GanonDwarf2 well that's the other option, lol, (pea puffer) I thought about that for a fat minute and would love to have one, but I really really really don't want anymore tanks. (shocking I know). 

I think a 20 gallon is slightly too small for a group of Dwarf Chain Loaches, but mine have basically eliminated my bladder snails in my larger tank.  I've seen ONE living bladder snail in the last few weeks.  If you get a 30+ gallon they'd be a really good option for you!  They're super speedy and very attractive fish in my opinion.  I call them "the wolf pack" because that's what they remind me of.  Got them because I also am not a bladder/pond snails fan (I do like mystery and nerites) and have been very happy.  If you're looking for an excuse for a bigger tank, here it is 😉 

• Like 2

I watched a video and it had said that alum powder could be used to kill snails and snail eggs as well as planaria. But I was wondering if putting the recommended amount of powder straight into my fish tank would be fine with my other fish without killing them. I know I said I would buy a snail trap and use the snails but I really want to get rid of them permanently since I don't want them in my main display tank and I would have to order or go buy the items for the snails and I don't have the time currently. If I did put alum powder in the only way to slowly get rid of the powder would be to do water changes right? And to get the dead snails and eggs out I would have to take decorations out and wash them as well as plants and would have to siphon the sand to slowly take the eggs out correct? Because I don't want to do anything wrong and mess with water parameters too much or hurt my fish.

I've heard of people putting in some blanched vegetables overnight and in the morning it'll be covered in snails. Remove the entire vegetable with the snails. Rinse and repeat.

Personally I introduced ramshorns and welcome their breeding. The eggs on the glass I clean off with my mag scraper but the ones on leaves I leave alone and let them multiply. They keep the tank clean and are not at all unsightly. My tank is only about 2 months old though so if they start to become an issue I'll likely follow the vegetable method or buy a snail trap.

I agree with @KaitieG about loaches. You have a pretty light bio load right now, though if your mollies have babies that could change fast. I think you’d be fine getting a small group of dwarf chain loaches for your aquarium. Loaches are great because they’ll eat the snails and also pick the egg sacs off the plants/walls/decorations. At least my yo-yos do that. They seem to just think it’s fun.

If you go the alum route, do you have a small container like a bucket where you could keep your fish for a day or so? Then you could add the alum, let it sit, and do a large water change to get rid of it.

12 hours ago, GanonDwarf2 said:

And to get the dead snails and eggs out I would have to take decorations out and wash them as well as plants and would have to siphon the sand to slowly take the eggs out correct?

Yes, though the eggs will mostly be on plants, decorations, and walls—basically on any smooth surface. If you don’t get all the egg sacs out, it won’t be a big deal. They’ll rot away eventually and won’t cause any noticeable ammonia spike, unless you have a TON of them. Getting the snail bodies out will be more important.

How big do dwarf chain loaches get? They won't hurt or mess with my neons or mollies right? How do I feed that type of fish since I've never had a loach? Will they be fine with pearl gouramis because I'm planning on getting one or two in the future. Edit: Oh and am I able to have one chain loach or do I have to get a few of them.

Edited by GanonDwarf2
I forgot to ask a question