Purigen

35 minutes ago, Sun.singh1991 said:

So I was wondering if the Purigen should go in the HOB filter before or after the biological media?  I don’t want to starve my bacteria if the Purigen will absorb all the Ammonia and Nitrites. 

I put mine after the biological media—kind of like a “final polish.”  It’s easier to pick it off the top and rinse out too, since the bag is fine mesh.  (Which I got cheap at Petsmart.)

• Thanks 1

I am experimenting with Purigen in my Axolotl tank (which is bare bottom) with one large anubias and floating hornwort.  Axolotls produce significant waste.  And I am also trying it in a goldfish tank because it is not heavily planted like my regular community tanks (just some potted crypts, anubias and floating hornwort). 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lifeisgood said:

I am experimenting with Purigen in my Axolotl tank (which is bare bottom) with one large anubias and floating hornwort.  Axolotls produce significant waste.  And I am also trying it in a goldfish tank because it is not heavily planted like my regular community tanks (just some potted crypts, anubias and floating hornwort). 

Let me know how it goes for you. I’m really curious. I just bought some Java Fern froM here and will be attaching it to my lava rocks. 

7 minutes ago, Sun.singh1991 said:

I have 3 fancy goldfish and a rubberlip pleco. 

I also have three fancy goldfish.  No plecos, but some ramshorn snails.  I filled the HOB with sponge media and had a small bag of Purigen on top.  I recently took the Purigen off when I treated them with Prazipro.  So it’s been out for a couple of weeks.  I will test the water and put the Purigen back in for a week and test it again and will tell you what differences I find.

I use Purigen as my top layer in a HOB filter, too.  Why?  I personally prefer the look of clear water, and I have large pieces of driftwood that leach tannins.  It makes a huge difference in the color of the water in my tank.

• Thanks 1