I currently have two threads for both of my aquariums, but I've been thinking that its time to merge the two threads together

My current tanks are my Community tank (40 Gallons):

20210523_113829.jpg.23be696f1359ca412fcb35209fe944a1.jpg

Home to: Angelfish, Cardinal Tetras x5, Bristlenose Pleco, Upside down Catfish x2, Zebra Danios x6.

Its Planted with: Anubias Nanna, Crypt Wendetii Red, Red Twist Sword, Hygrophiliia Siamensis 53B, 

My second tank is my Betta Tank (5 Gallons):

20210425_213149.jpg.c95ae836c1d674a895087245bad9c796.jpg

Its home to: Hugo the Betta, 5 Neon Tetras, and a new addition (more on that below!)

Its planted with: Hygrophillia Compact, Hygrophillia Siamensis, Two Species of Anubias, Buce, Red Melon Sword

Little Side Note: Hugo had gone through some Finrot Treatments, his fins are still growing back.

I'm also working on a new tank to go below the community tank, hoping to get some supplies for it and to get it up and running!

Today I went driving and drove past a petstore, so naturally I had to stop. I picked up a Nirite Snail for the Betta Tank. I want names for this little guy so comment some suggestions!

image.png.1d390814b5c2b4f34aa716449572a95b.png 

Also just a quick questions. Does this look like a baby nirite?

image.png.0aa2995485b441cf43bd0eb6f2f78088.png

It seems unlikely due to the fact that they only breed in brackish, but what elese could it be? It moves and has the antennas like a snail too. I picked up the snail to add it in so I'm not sure how it could have come into the tank. Unless it came in in one of my plants, but the last time I added a plant was maybe three weeks, and I'm only noticing it now.

So maybe we'll need two names, thats exciting! The baby will probably end up in a different tank soon, 5 gallons is probably too small for two snails.

Edited by FrozenFins
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, James Black said:

I currently have two threads for both of my aquariums, but I've been thinking that its time to merge the two threads together

My current tanks are my Community tank (40 Gallons):

image.png.5f992f75d071360595c834bdb015adb0.png

Home to: Angelfish, Cardinal Tetras x5, Bristlenose Pleco, Upside down Catfish x2, Zebra Danios

(I know the picture shows two angelfish, but since this picture was taken the angelfish on the right died of parasites)

Its Planted with: Anubias Nanna, Crypt Wendetii Red, Red Twist Sword, Hygrophiliia Siamensis

My second tank is my Betta Tank (5 Gallons):

image.png.ef174cf856f15d1e43f59e18f4ae9683.png

Its home to: Hugo the Betta, 5 Neon Tetras, and a new addition (more on that below!)

Its planted with: Hygrophillia Compact, Hygrophillia Siamensis, Two Species of Anubias, Buce, Red Melon Sword, 

Little Side Note: Hugo had gone through some Finrot Treatments, his fins are still growing back.

I'm also working on a new tank to go below the community tank, hoping to get some supplies for it and to get it up and running!

Today I went driving and drove past a petstore, so naturally I had to stop. I picked up a Nirite Snail for the Betta Tank. I want names for this little guy so comment some suggestions!

image.png.1d390814b5c2b4f34aa716449572a95b.png 

Also just a quick questions. Does this look like a baby nirite?

image.png.0aa2995485b441cf43bd0eb6f2f78088.png

It seems unlikely due to the fact that they only breed in brackish, but what elese could it be? It moves and has the antennas like a snail too. I picked up the snail to add it in so I'm not sure how it could have come into the tank. Unless it came in in one of my plants, but the last time I added a plant was maybe three weeks, and I'm only noticing it now.

So maybe we'll need two names, thats exciting! The baby will probably end up in a different tank soon, 5 gallons is probably too small for two snails.

I not too good with names, so I don't have any suggestions here.

Maybe a pond or bladder snail? Looks like it could be a ramshorn snail too. 5 gallons would probably be sufficient for two snails, especially those as small as the nerite and ramshorn snails (bladder and pond snails are even smaller). Just keep in mind the ramshorns, bladders, and pond snails can all grow their populations from just one individual.

• Like 2

I’m guessing it’s a ramshorn snail. And it’s true they cam multiply from just one individual, but I *think* they have to have mated once first. So you might be okay if it was a really tiny baby when it hitchhiked to you.

Is your nerite knobby? Could he be Knobby the Nerite? I’m not that great with names either. 😅

• Like 3

Hooray for nerites!!!  Knobby is an adorable name suggestion @Hobbit!!

What's Hugo's name origin?  You could go with a theme!!

The unknown snail looks metallic like a bladder snail to me...but the curve of the shell doesn't match the bladder snail's...so...🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the LFS today and dropped off the Pleco. When I was there I picked up some flourite black sand for the new tank and a dwarf aquaium lilly for the community tank.

I have a plant order coming on Tuesday for the new tank and decided to rinse, and add the flourite sand to the new 10 gallon tank. Apperiantly I didnt rinse it for long enough, so its very cloudy. Its been this cloudy for about 6 hours now. Its gotten a bit better.

The Plan for this tank is to breed some fish in it. I want to start off with an easy live bearer like platys and then move up to fish like apistogramma. This tank has been in the planning stage for about a year now, so its SUPEER exciting that its finally happening. Its being run off a nano aquarium co-op sponge filter. I also finally convinced my self and my wallet to purchase the fluval 3.0 nano for this tank.

Heres how cloudy the tank is:

image.png.77880e51270ccb53ec7975da37623755.png

I have some cheap LED lights for the time being before the fluval 3.0 nano comes. Anyone have any suggestions getting the tank water less cloudy? @Betsy I know you had simillar experiance with another substrate with your birthday tank, any tips?

Heres the plants that are comming in the mail on tuesday. the Buce is for Hugos tank, but other then that all the other plants are for the "breeding tank". The hygrophillia compact in hugos tank is growing like CRAZY and has split into three. So one of them will move into this tank as well.

image.png.e3a977c8f59508477a1ecdca18408cc6.png Total came to like $105 CAD. 

The upside down catfish have been WAY MORREE active since the removal of the pleco:
image.png.8d372c850c348f87f506a1b7dec5cedb.pngimage.png.921632ffd338416e7d17bdbd15f3a8a8.png

Heres the dwarf aquarium lilly I got:

image.png.1960a5a5c7af0637b92dc2aeaa6311ac.png

Let me know if I planted the lilly right!

Edited by James Black
  • Like 7

The plants were supposed to arrive tuesday but then kept on getting delayed because my street is under construction, so they dropped it off at the local post office today and I went to pick them up! I won't lie I was little nervous getting them home. All the plants except one arrived alive and healthy. The Amazon Frogbit that I orderd turned into brown mush, the seller is re-shipping me some. Hopefully that doesnt get delayed😆

The tank was crystal clear on Tuesday, and is now bag to foggy due to the fact that I stired up the substrate planting the plants. It should clear up within the next hour. 

Its hard to see all the plants due to the foggyness, but heres a full tank shot:

image.png.68ebf2cf634c0dcede7d160d8e999f13.png

Back Left Corner we have a Yellow Sun Sword, infront of it is the baby that came from the hygrophillia compact in Hugos Tank.

Infront of the sponge filter are two cryptacorne wendetiis, I'm going to cut off the leaves the second I see melting. 

And then in the far right corner by the heater we a Java Fern and the beside it a Anubias nanna Gold Coin.

I'll upload another picture when the tank is clear.

image.png.31c0e4bcf5d043e2863eff2450d97c0c.png

I also got a bucephalandra wavy green for Hugos Tank. 

image.png.0f5d55fb73d1b6eed2d7929a52feb4a8.png Of course Hugo had to but into the picture too! "hey you see me, wheres my food!"

A little Hugo Update:

image.png.77fb4b84b242443c67e9431f64b10990.png 

He's gos lots of new growth with his fins, but it almost looks like its getting worse. uh-oh! I'll be keeping an eye on him.

The Upside down catfish are wayyy more active now that Mr. Pleco is gone. (They remind me of minni versions of @H.K.Luterman's pooka!)

image.png.141c4a92e1e2bf3c07cb629b78a6bd89.png

Edited by James Black
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

Used up some store credit today at my LFS and picked up a green gecko crypt, defentley one of my favorites! Also picked up some amazon frogbit tissue culture. Both plants are for the Nano Breeder (thats the new name for the new tank)

20210523_220429.jpg.fce173a8ca7b20f07274ae1ca739bf89.jpg

Edited by James Black
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

The green gecko crypt has to be one of my favorite plants. Either that or the round coin anubias. Both species are in the nano breeder.

I'm slowly getting this tank ready for fish. Its already cycled as the sponge filter I'm using was in the community tank for several weeks. I am rearranging some of the plants making sure I like the scape before I add the platys. I also added a mystery snail (he was in my community tank before) to keep the cycle alive. So far no sign of crypt melt from the wendetii reds, its been almost 4 days! I'm feeling good it wont melt as all of the plants I've gotten from this seller have never melted. Maybe because he has the plants in his possesion for a while before he sells them, not sure...?

The Fluval 3.0 Nano wont arrive for a little while, its out of stock on amazon. And none of the "good" LFS near me carry them (by good I mean, worth supporting)

image.png.05293daf2ee3bb82253388779979ab9b.pngimage.png.083767ca13a633063ba0e002857adeab.png

• Like 2

I usually like to feed frozen foods on friday but I have been forgeting to do so lately. So I fed everyone frozen blood worms today 🙂

image.png.661bfba3d4e6fdca26d48ebc87c3ef63.png

Hugos Fins aren't looking the best. I fear that his finrot has come back as they look like there getting worse. One thing I know for sure is that if I do have to go back to treating I wont be using salt. Im gonna see if I can get my hands on some API Melafix. 

image.png.f7c7de56c82836ccc8c366aafc1e3578.pngHe used to have like 1/2 of halfmoon back, but now its like 1/4 of it.

Hugo has picked up a new hobby though, which is scavenging for any left over food. And as a result has a round belly. No food for him today.

I haven't seen Dobby the Nirite Snail during the day at all but only during the night time when all the lights are off. I assume he hides in the crevises of the drift wood. 

I want some more plants for the community tank as well as one more for Hugos Tank (the red melon sword hasnt bee doing the greatest) And I'm really fighting the urge to not buy some plants! But I need some water sprite or Hornwort for the Nano Breeder so I'll probably wait till I see that someone has those instock before I make a purchase.

Edited by James Black
  • Like 5

The Crypts in the nano breeder are grooowing like CRAZZZY!!! They didn't melt back either, only grew a bunch! The Anubias in the community tank is also growing a bunch, a new leaf almost every week (fast for an anubias)!!!

Also huge thankyou to @Betsy and @Isaac M for developing the perfect aquarium journal. I tested my water to make my first entry, and 80PPM OF NITRATES!!! Did an imediate waterchange!

The fluval 3.0 nano was finally instock on amazon.ca, so I orderd it. expected to come within the next week or two. Also orderd a 100Watt Fluval E Series Heater for the community tank as the heater in there as stopped heating. Its been sitting at 72F. Thankfully its summer, so its not in the 60s. The only fish that has been effected by the heater broken is the angelfish. Sitting in one spot most of the time. Still eating though.

Also orderd more plants. I wasnt planning too, but then I saw that they had the madgascar lace plant instcok soooo, I kind of had to buy it. Its sooo pretty. I figured if I was going to buy that I might as well also purchase some Pogostemon Stellata Octopus. The Lace Plant will be going in the community tank and the Pogostemon in the nano breeder.

20210602_214820.jpg.6b2b1eb566f26e5371fb4acea9e8c68d.jpgimage.png.e454d054a9a33035972036da89aee87a.png

Also caught the snail eating some amazon frogbit:

image.png.4c8fba6249df855e6d12174b9a22c633.png

Edited by James Black
  • Like 5

The "Fluval Nano 3.0 was finally back in stock" caught my eye.  Fluval just introduced a new "Betta specific" variant of this nano tank - pix and info starts about page 5 or 6 of this document (Edit- it's more like page 11).  The only place that I've seen it in stock in the US is Petsmart and it's tagged at $99 (same as the shrimp specific EBI Spec 3.0 bundle) but it includes a heater.  

The stock and prices on the "regular" Spec IIIs have been ping ponging all over the place (I suspect that the Betta version is going to replace the current version).  I have 8 of the "plain Specs" now and I've paid everywhere from $79 to $52 USD for the same tank though in some of the better deals, I didn't get to chose the color of the base plastics.  Point being:

* This is an item where it pays to watch and wait- the same seller that you list (US division) offered me an instant $20 off "flash coupon" specific to Fluval aquariums a few weeks ago.  If you had to pay list due to availability,  you might want to keep on shopping and see if another deal shows up that you can use to negotiate a credit vs returning from the seller.

* There's a couple different revisions of these tanks.  The most recent rev has a thin silicone encased brushed aluminum light - the older revision had (edit- a thick plastic encased light with a) sliding switch on the side.  You want the newer rev as the older lights would eventually corrode and drip rust into the tank/stop working.  Fluval shouldn't be shipping any old rev lights,  but the pic for this product's web page in the US at the seller you've ordered from does show the older sliding switch light on the packaging (and my local Petsmart still has older rev tanks still on the shelves).   Double check and return if you get the old light...The light alone is $44 (plus shipping) to replace and it will need to be replaced.

Edited by NanoNano
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Patrick_G said:

@James Black, is this your first Fluval 3.0? 

Yep 🙂 

I have never convinced myself to spend that amount of money on a light, and have always stuck with the budget lights like Nicrew, Hagen, etc. 

But this time I decided to purchase a 3.0 nano and see if its worth the money. Sooo excited!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, James Black said:

Yep 🙂 

I have never convinced myself to spend that amount of money on a light, and have always stuck with the budget lights like Nicrew, Hagen, etc. 

But this time I decided to purchase a 3.0 nano and see if its worth the money. Sooo excited!

Right on! I was the same. I went to the Aquarium Coop store to buy a Finnex for our first panted tank but walked out with the Fluval. It seemed crazy to buy a light that costs more than the tank but it’s worth it. 

• Like 2

My plant order arrived as well as the heater I orderd for the community tank. Unfortantley no fluval 3.0 yet, but it comes tommorrow! I also went to the LFS a few days  ago and picked up a few items...

• a penny size angelfish (litterly the size of a penny, to cute to not buy) I wasnt planning on buying an angelfish, but impulse buys happen... He's growing out in the nano breeder, hopefully in like a month I can move him into the community tank. I'm still trying to locate some platys for the nano breeder so until then and probably when I do have platys in the tank Penny the angelfish will be growing out in there. (shoutout to @FlyingFishKeeper for helping me choose the name in this thread.)

20210604_162114.jpg.dbeeb5d59b30943595e0873c0687f292.jpgimage.png.12d43ffb5b0ba2b0112b1a43c4f7ba6f.pngHe's so small I almost need a macro lens😍

I got him to eat today. I need to learn not to feed him too much, he is floating around the tank like a floating balloon🤣But I guess he'll grow faster this way!

•  I also got some plants! Once again kind of an impulse buy. My local online plant dealer had some madagascar lace plant in stock. I told my self if I ever had the option to buy it, I would. And thats exactly what I did! I bought some madagascar lace plant and some pogostemon octopus. The Pogostemon for the nano breeder and the lace plant for the community tank. The Lace plant was like my dream plant so I'm stoked that I finally have it. 

image.png.5c0ed06fa4d874629441788fd5b0fccf.png

image.png.ba6bd87459045c189ae0c8aea0e83b94.png

Cory mentioned in the lives stream today that they like nutrient riched substrates, so i placed in a few root tabs. 

The fluval 3.0 nano is coming tommorow! So I'll update this thread when it arrives with the settings that I'm using! 

Edited by James Black
  • Like 4

Guess what came in the mail today? my FLUVAL 3.0 NANO!!! So excited!

It was supposed to arrive yesterday, but couldnt because they were paving my street (forgot that was happening). Luckily its not plants or live fish so a delay isn't the end of the world, only a dissapointment. I was lucky it was only delayed one day, on my tracking pin it says it "delayed, please come back later for a estimated date of arrival".

I have a rimmed tank and dont have a lid so I got two pecies of wood, laid them across the tank and places the light ontop. It will do temporarily unitl I can get a glass lid. Penny was watching me the whole time when I was installing it "whatya doing hooman... do ya got fooood..."

You were right @Streetwise I do love it!

I am using @Bentley Pascoe settings for a low tech tank, and tuned down by 50% because its a 10 gallon.

Screenshot_20210608-175218_FluvalSmart.jpg.36756373a9a68b3db49528288535331e.jpgScreenshot_20210608-175222_FluvalSmart.jpg.2237e2b71ae86692a3570faf1a604908.jpg

20210608_175317.jpg.968dcfab1ebf3b21704f6b32472da5b5.jpgimage.png.751f8da9f161ed0c07c936fa431397ea.png

• Like 4

Congrats! I hope you ordered some trimming scissors because you’re going to need them! 

I find I need to have mine set quite high above my 14” cube to get a good spread of light. You might find it necessary to raise it up a bit to get good coverage to the left and right sides of the 10g. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Patrick_G said:

Congrats! I hope you ordered some trimming scissors because you’re going to need them! 

I find I need to have mine set quite high above my 14” cube to get a good spread of light. You might find it necessary to raise it up a bit to get good coverage to the left and right sides of the 10g. 

The trimming sicssors are currently in my cart awaiting my next plant order.

Its tough to raise the light due to the fact that I cant install it the "default way" because its a rimmed tank. But I'm currently brainstorming of ways I may be able to.

• Like 2