My Aquarium 5/7

Well I have been working for a few minutes to try and figure out how to upload a video here and then just gave up and copy and pasted the URL and that did it! Oh well.... 

Anyway, here is my aquarium today! After starting 4 months ago, very poorly, my aquarium has come along quite nicely. I have Guppies, Julie Catfish, Neon Tetras, Ember Tetras, Snails, 1 cherry Shrimp, Platty's, A Common Pleco, lots of plants, and everyone seems to be doing ok. I can't believe where I started with all fake plants to where I am now. We really enjoy our tanks and appreciate all the help I have gotten. 

Edited by GoldenGardner
Embed the video link and it didn't work
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, GoldenGardner said:

It's a 29 gallon tank and I have 3 cories. I think I'd like to get 2 more. But I'm trying to decide if I want to get something that eats snails in there too. Everything is doing really well, so I don't want to throw off anything.

You could try assassin snails. They are great for snail control.

• Like 1

I am not sure if Aquarium Co-op has them but I agree with @CorydorasEthan, I added about 5 assassin snails to my 29 gallon that had a lot of ramshorn snails and now the assassin snails are the only snails left in there. They are amazing creatures to watch also in my opinion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Isaac M said:

I am not sure if Aquarium Co-op has them but I agree with @CorydorasEthan, I added about 5 assassin snails to my 29 gallon that had a lot of ramshorn snails and now the assassin snails are the only snails left in there. They are amazing creatures to watch also in my opinion. 

Isaac will the go after my one big mystery snail? 

@GoldenGardner that is a good question, I have heard some people say that they do not attack snails larger than them but I have seen mine gang up on a larger ramshorn snail before. Mystery snails are large but I would not take that risk personally. If I wanted to control a snail population without adding a predator, I would simply make sure not to overfeed. That will typically keep a snail population under control. 

• Like 1

My husband said I could just move the one Mystery snail into the other tank and then once the assassin snails have cleared on the one tank I can switch them. I only have two Mystery Snails. One is really odd and I'm not sure he's ok. His shell has fractured quite a bit and is often laying on the substrate with part of his body out but not moving. When I go back to check a couple of hours later he's usually moving again.  

One of my snails sits that way often, I worry about her sometimes but she seems to do fine and is my oldest and largest snail. My other female has a crack in her shell that seems healed and to be honest I'm not sure where she got it as I've had her since she was little and her shell was beautiful then. Mystery snail shells also get flaws when moved from tank to tank when there's a change in water parameters, one breeder on youtube doesn't like to move them for that reason alone. 

• Like 1