Pseudo-saltwater journal

Thanks for the good thoughts and vibes everyone!  Must have worked.  The meds arrived today!  There are already dosed.  Feels good to at least be taking potentially positive steps.  The sitting on my hands I was forced into there for a few days is most certainly not my style.

And, @eatyourpeas, don't worry.  I'm not giving up.  I'm finishing tearing down the remains of the basement room so I can continue with my expansion plans.  I'm going to continue to move forward, even if there are setbacks.  😁

Well, I'll keep folks posted if the meds work.  I think I'll see it first on the Endler's.  There are a lot in there and I was dropping a couple every day.  The others, well, I guess if I don't lose any more I'm all set.  Not sure how long I wait to declare victory though.  Any one with any ideas on that?

• Like 3

On 1/13/2022 at 7:38 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

So, I'm still waiting on the meds.  Probably good I bought so much though now that I'm now losing fish in every tank but one.  If this keeps up, I'll have more aquariums than anybody else - who doesn't have any fish that is.  This is going to end up being one of those defining times.  The ones you take loads of lessons from.  You know, the ones your dad would say "build character"?  Yeah, I never liked them either.  😝 

Our family was a bit more realistic... we call them "great, another... learning opportunity"

Sometimes, I would like life to present fewer opportunities. 

I believe you said something about possibly being able to send a fish out for a necropsy? I would maybe see if it's possible to get slides that Zenzo could share before the next Club members talk. Share the knowledge. 

I am sorry, friend.

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2022 at 10:32 PM, Torrey said:

I believe you said something about possibly being able to send a fish out for a necropsy? I would maybe see if it's possible to get slides that Zenzo could share before the next Club members talk. Share the knowledge.

Well.  Cards on the table...  I'm not a member.  But, the bigger issue is that the post-doc is in no rush.  She's got work to do that she's expected to do.  If she can get to the necropsy, great!  If not, well I get that.  Regardless, I am just hoping this latest medication makes it all stop.  I'm trying to keep focus on what I can pull from this, but I'd be okay just to end all the death in my tanks right now.  That'd be enough for the moment. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 10:31 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Well.  Cards on the table...  I'm not a member.  But, the bigger issue is that the post-doc is in no rush.  She's got work to do that she's expected to do.  If she can get to the necropsy, great!  If not, well I get that.  Regardless, I am just hoping this latest medication makes it all stop.  I'm trying to keep focus on what I can pull from this, but I'd be okay just to end all the death in my tanks right now.  That'd be enough for the moment. 

I can't remember where you are located.

If there's a veterinary school, I would definitely reach out and see if the professor has a student in ichthyology, and interested in a mystery to solve.

As for Nerm membership, I watch Google adds and rate the places I go to earn Google bucks. I use the Google bucks to cover my membership. Maybe takes me an hour a week to cover the member dues for YouTube.

It will get you access to all the talks that have already happened, as well. 

Just something to think about. 

Tom Barr (I'm pretty sure it was Tom🤔) listed an upper education opportunity in the field of fish. That might be another potential resource (the program, or the speaker).

I hope this medication stops the deaths, too.

• Like 1

Slow to update.  The morning after adding the meds to the tank I awoke to find this foggy scene:

2033122833_PSalttreatfog.JPG.988ab96c99692b40e3a1f82698f62a94.JPG

I hadn't expected that.  Interestingly, none of the tanks downstairs that also got the treatment did this.  It ended up clearing up later in the day.  No idea what happened.

The fish definitely lost their appetites, as you can see my the flakes on the bottom in the photo.  The snails hated the treatment!  I sort of thought they were dead at first.  And they still haven't moved.  I think I'll remove snails from the tanks in future when I need to use this.  Hopefully they will pull through.

I've already changed 25% of the water and gravel vacuumed heavily.  I think I'll change a bit more today and tomorrow, before I have to do the second dose again next week.

Now I suppose it is just a waiting game.  I need to see how the fish do.  Their appetites are back, but they never really lost them.

• Like 3

On 1/17/2022 at 6:33 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I hadn't expected that.  Interestingly, none of the tanks downstairs that also got the treatment did this.  It ended up clearing up later in the day.  No idea what happened.

Perhaps a reaction to the substrate/rock? I hope everyone gets better!

On 1/17/2022 at 6:33 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Now I suppose it is just a waiting game.

Always stressful. 😟

• Like 1

Little update.  Fish are all doing okay.  Snails...  Not so much.  I wish I had seen @laritheloud's thread on this med and snails before dosing, but the snails are now in a recovery tank and won't be exposed to any further treatments.  And by "tank" I mean one of two 2 gallon sterilite bins with sand on the bottom and an air stone.  I am switching the snails between them daily so they get a 100% water change every day because there is no setup filter in there.  🙄  Plus, then each snail gets checked each day as they are transferred to the new bin, so I guess that's good?  Still, you could say the snail issue took me by surprise, yes.  

The up side is I've not lost more fish yet.  So bonus on that.  I was concerned with this disease/parasite getting into every tank I was going to end up with no fish and only snails.  Now the pendulum may have swung the other way, and it's most of my snails that look to be in danger.  Sometimes, I swear, this hobby...  Well, some days it seems it could use a less steep learning curve.  Uf-da! 

• Like 4

I hope the snails make a full recovery and I would say switching every day would allow a more thorough inspection. 

Our family has voted for no more AFLO's for at least the next couple of months. Sounds like you are in the same mindset. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Second dose went in yesterday.  Sans snails, of course.  The fry from the Julies made it through the first round, but I haven't seen them in a day or two.  Hopefully they are still hiding.

As for the snails: half the pagoda snails are dead, but so far none of the rabbit snails are.  To be sure, some aren't happy, but others are crawling around to the point I put some food in yesterday.  The simple setup that allows me to check them each day and change 100% of the water seems to be helping.  I'll have to remember this snail rescue setup!

• Like 2

On 1/23/2022 at 5:42 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Second dose went in yesterday.  Sans snails, of course.  The fry from the Julies made it through the first round, but I haven't seen them in a day or two.  Hopefully they are still hiding.

As for the snails: half the pagoda snails are dead, but so far none of the rabbit snails are.  To be sure, some aren't happy, but others are crawling around to the point I put some food in yesterday.  The simple setup that allows me to check them each day and change 100% of the water seems to be helping.  I'll have to remember this snail rescue setup!

I hope these are all good signs and the snails recover. Maybe the fry is just hiding, and will soon make an appearance! 🙃 I am sending good thoughts your way...

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 2:35 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I hope these are all good signs and the snails recover.

Well, I have some good news on the snail front for you.  As of last night's check and tank change, the remaining pagoda snails were alive and crawling around.  Plus, so far all of the rabbit snails are alive.  Some have not yet crawled, but then are peaking out consistently.  Thanks to information sent to me by @dasaltemelosguy, I am relatively confident that the palliative care I am providing, not only is all I can do, but consists of the proper measured to take.  Some of the snails are even feeding again!

Maybe the fry is just hiding, and will soon make an appearance!

This has come to pass as well.  I saw at least one Julie fry yesterday evening before lights out.  It was really exciting to see!

I am sending good thoughts your way...

They seem to be a particularly effective sort!  😉

• Like 2
  • Love 1

And the results are in!  It seems the rescue system I created as been decently effective.  I did lose half my pagoda snails, but none of my rabbit snails were lost.  They are all now crawling around and eating happily.  At this stage, I don't expect to lose any more from the treatment.  So, I'm going to call this aspect done.

On an other note, the Julie fry have made it through the treatment too!  At some point I am going to have to catch them out.  Anyone have any great techniques for getting fish out of tanks with loads of rockwork?

• Like 3

Glad to hear your fish are okay! Bummer about the pagoda snails (I just looked them up and they’re SUPER cool), but I’m sure they’ll bounce back given enough time.

On 1/28/2022 at 2:18 PM, Patrick_G said:

I find a little fish trap works great for me. This one is a 16oz soda bottle. 

image.jpg

I used the exact same thing (same bottle even) to trap shrimp in a rockpool for my new planted rockpool invert biotope aquarium (I need an acronym for that). Works decently well, I’d just recommend some more enticing food than dog food. I’m sure you’d get a few if you left it in there for long enough. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the snails doing well in recovery, I decided it was time to add a Zenzo style ABS hide in the tank.  I'm hoping this and some smaller rocks I am going to put in there will give the Cyp young somewhere to hide out and perhaps allow them to get to a size where they will survive to adulthood. 

I stuck the thing next to the overflow pre-filter, and I think it doesn't stand out too much.  At least not more than the algae i need to clean off the back wall.  What do you think?

792628892_PSaltABShide.JPG.f23584911ddc7263da7649ceb06d465c.JPG

• Like 2

On 2/2/2022 at 12:01 AM, Vanish said:

Cant really say what I'm looking at

That could have as much to do with my terrible photography!  😆  I tried to take a photo in daylight, and the glare was terrible.  I have to take a close up or all you would have seen in me and my stairs warped by the bowfront of the acrylic. 

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a bit and there has not been a ton going on in the tank.  No new breeding activity.  Not sure why.  The Cyps could give it another go for sure, but I suppose it woild be futile with the Julies in there.  I think most of the Cyps will end up heading down to the tank room (my Subsclarium Journal linked in my signature), with a few of the extra males left in this tank as dithers for the subordinate Julies.

The Juli fry are growing and getting quite big!  Believe it or not, the fish toward the bottom of this photo is one of the 3 fry from the first batch.  (As a side not, it's really not that blue in there.  I need to get one of the photo app the reefers use to color correct their pictures.)

2131263782_PSaltjuliefrygrow.JPG.e4a20ae5df768719ed9fdc37301dc8a5.JPG

I'll probably need to trap and BAP these soon.  Although the parents have been really tolerant of the offspring.  Perhaps because they haven't spawned again?  Don't know. 

Besides the spawning slump this tank seems to be in, everything else seems to be going well.  The fish are happy. Mostly all getting along, which is a small miracle for cichlids.  The tank boss has gotten a bit bossy, and has claimed much of the open water for himself.  I don't think this bothers the Julies much, but the other Cyps would probably be happier if they didn't have to hang by the rocks so often.  Another good reason to move the Cyps to new digs downstairs when I can.  Still, they make a nice little shoal!

1872396693_PSalthappyshoal.JPG.9469d01c050087bccf173e9784659ee6.JPG

• Like 2
  • Love 2