Tips for bedroom/night time tank

In various livestreams Corey mentioned that he used to have a tank in his bedroom which he would look at to drift off to sleep. 

But I wonder that when we light such aquariums, a good amount of blue light is used, which should trouble us in having to sleep. 

So can we gather any tips or resources that can help us get a failure free attempt on night time tanks. 

Thanks

Please let me know if this thread is inappropriate, I shall delete it immediately. I have genuine curiosity and I don't want to cross any boundaries. 

In various livestreams Corey mentioned that he used to have a tank in his bedroom which he would look at to drift off to sleep. 

But I wonder that when we light such aquariums, a good amount of blue light is used, which should trouble us in having to sleep. 

So can we gather any tips or resources that can help us get a failure free attempt on night time tanks. 

Thanks

Please let me know if this thread is inappropriate, I shall delete it immediately. I have genuine curiosity and I don't want to cross any boundaries. 

• Like 1

Hmm interesting thought. With the right lights, you can control which LED channels are on at which times of days, and use warm whites and other colors with little blue at night. Though I haven't noticed the blue in my aquarium lights bothering me as much as it does from phone or computer screens at night.

Blue light from your aquarium is not as intense as the light from your devices.  Unlike your computer or phone screen, you probably will not be staring at your aquarium lights up close.  The moonlight functions on the lights I have seen are not nearly as bright., and are focused downward. As long as you don't have a lot reflective objects in your tank, they don't throw that much light into the room. 

In any event be sure to use a timer.  24/7 light is not a good idea.

I have heard the blue light on those moonlight settings cause no end of trouble in freshwater systems, where they promote algae. They are really designed for corals, I think.

However, there are lights (such as fluval, I think?) that have programed settings for a "sunset" mode that shift thru reds and gradually dim. I think that would be an awesome way to drift off to sleep. My own bedroom tanks have fairly standard tank lights on a timer and have become my alarm clock. The sun comes up consistently in my room, even in rainy seattle winters!

• Like 1

i myself use the fluval 3.0 light for evening viewing. I have a dedicated 'sleep' mode I will use if I'm just not ready to go to bed and want to just watch the pleco's move about in the evening. I usually set it with about 5%yellow and 8% red, with a hint of blue like maybe 1% to make the tank a shade of reddish/purple. Then lay on my couch and drift away. 

Hmm... I don't know. I as a newbie, still haven't tried any nightime lights in my tanks. When I read up on it, I had conflicting messages. Some say that blue light is perfectly fine, and others say that having it on is harmful to their sleep. Some say that red leds are okay. Here are a couple of the articles. However, I would do some more research and come to a conclusion myself. 

https://petfishonline.com/fish-sleep-blue-light/#:~:text=Fish cannot sleep with blue,transition between light and darkness. 

https://www.yourfishguide.com/can-fish-sleep-with-a-red-light-on/.

https://jaljeev.com/why-does-an-aquarium-have-blue-light/. Hope this helped! 🙂

I have a fluval aquasky on my bedroom tank. After sunset mode there is a nighttime mode that I schedule for an hour (5% blue light). It’s relaxing, doesn’t interfere with my ability to fall asleep, and since it’s only an hour, no crazy algae problems.

1 hour ago, Alexa said:

I have a fluval aquasky on my bedroom tank. After sunset mode there is a nighttime mode that I schedule for an hour (5% blue light). It’s relaxing, doesn’t interfere with my ability to fall asleep, and since it’s only an hour, no crazy algae problems.

Yep...

the fluval aquasky defaults to blue for night modes.  No issue with algae either, for me anyway,

• Like 1