Corydora Stocking

15 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

Isn't the general rule of thumb "You can add as many inches of fish you have in gallons"? I have a 5.5 gallon, and plus a veiltail betta, who is 2.5 in, and so is it OK to add so much pygmy corydoras?

I would get 3  more pygmy Cory's 

3 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

And then have 6 corydoras? Is it ok to have 7 fish in a 5 gallon?

If you have live plant and adequate filtration it will be ok just keep a close eye on water parameters

• Like 1

There are no clear rules here - a bit depends on the filtration and how clean you keep the water whether it be via water changes or some other method.

-

As a general rule a 5 gallon tank is a bit small for pygmy but since you already have 3 i would get 2 to 4 more since they do require a larger group. So why is the 5 gallon tank not the best size because  - they do like to swim a bit and a 5 is a bit cramp. Most sites recommend a 10 gallon.

-

As for the 1 inch rule - it is a novice way of guessing how much bioload and space a tank has but it doesn't really work that well as some small fishes have a high bio load, extreme requirement for pure water or are hyper active and need a lot of swimming space and some larger fishes just kind of sit still most of the day doing nothing. 

-

Anyway you have 3 so adding a few more isn't going to make matter worse since the bio load is light and the fishes will be 'happier' to be in a larger group. 

-

You should periodically monitor your nitrate level - maybe once every 6 or 12 weeks just to make sure it doesn't continuously drift higher. If it gets above 40 or so you might consider water changes to bring it back down.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 4