If it's not a Diamond Tetra, what is it?

Kirsten

Fish delivery day!

I finally got the diamond tetras I've dreamed of since I first saw them months ago. So sparkly!

Since I hear they prefer groups of 6 or more, and prefer odd numbers, strangely enough, I got two packs of 6 from Aqua Huna just in case some didn't make it. If they all made it, I figured I'd split them up into odd-number groups in different tanks or give some to a fish store.

So they're still settling in and coloring up. But one of these things is not like the others...this one is smaller, not sparkly, but has a slightly metallic blue sheen along his top and a reddish tail fin. Poor lil fella also seems to be missing a chunk from his top fin:

966319357_PXL_20210506_1425182592.jpg.f3bb2b4e84589b8a138c014370e96cb4.jpg

It's larger than any neon or cardinal I've seen. I thought it might be a congo tetra, which would need very different water than these S American fish, but the site shows them as being paler than this.

I wrote to them to ask what they think it is and what I should do with it, but while I'm waiting for a response, what do you think? Should I keep it in this tank with the others, put it with different fish, or bring it to a pet store once it's done with quarantine?

Edited by Kirsten

1 hour ago, Kirsten said:

Fish delivery day!

I finally got the diamond tetras I've dreamed of since I first saw them months ago. So sparkly!

Since I hear they prefer groups of 6 or more, and prefer odd numbers, strangely enough, I got two packs of 6 from Aqua Huna just in case some didn't make it. If they all made it, I figured I'd split them up into odd-number groups in different tanks or give some to a fish store.

So they're still settling in and coloring up. But one of these things is not like the others...this one is smaller, not sparkly, but has a slightly metallic blue sheen along his top and a reddish tail fin. Poor lil fella also seems to be missing a chunk from his top fin:

966319357_PXL_20210506_1425182592.jpg.f3bb2b4e84589b8a138c014370e96cb4.jpg

It's larger than any neon or cardinal I've seen. I thought it might be a congo tetra, which would need very different water than these S American fish, but the site shows them as being paler than this.

I wrote to them to ask what they think it is and what I should do with it, but while I'm waiting for a response, what do you think? Should I keep it in this tank with the others, put it with different fish, or bring it to a pet store once it's done with quarantine?

I agree, it looks like a columbian tetra. No red eyeshadow on that little guy!

So happy for you for getting your diamonds, though. Mine seem to color up more and get more color every week. We have one "alpha" male that is the biggest and most mature of the bunch, and his fins are already lengthening and getting gorgeous. I hope you love your school of tetra!

EDIT: You should also be able to sex them pretty easily as they get their colors! Males tend to be a bit leaner, longer, and their stripe is less pronounced. They also have a pink tint to their top fins. Females have smaller fins, rounder bodies, and clear/yellow-tinted top fins.

Edited by laritheloud
  • Thanks 1