The usual "Could X amount of X fit in my 60 gallon"?

I know this question has been asked 1,000 times so I apologize in advance, I just wanted to hear some opinions from like minded nerms.

I have a 60 Gallon Tall (which is a weird tank, but I got a good deal on it) with 1 Angel, 1 White Skirt Tetra, and 1 Glofish Tetra. I have another Angel and Oto-cat in a QT Tank that I plan on adding eventually. My Tetras are pretty territorial and skidish. So I wanted to add more to make them more comfortable. How many more white skirts and glo tetras could I add to make them shoal together while keeping the tank slightly understocked (less frequent water changes)?

I'm trying to keep the tank understocked because I have to get my water from the town over. The reason being.. my tap has a pH of 9 and a KH of 10 so its really hard to adjust/ I don't want to chase pH/ my fish are used to the other towns water. I've done a ton of research to find a better way but this is the only way that's affordable at the moment. 

Thank you for your time! (Sorry for the bad formatting, I'm on mobile)

If the whiteskirt and the Glofish are the same sort of tetra, then I'd just add four more for a total of 6. That's usually the minimum advised for a shoal if you want to go VERY LOW stocking. 

If they're different sorts of tetra, then add 5 of each to bring their numbers to 6. 

But you could get away with much more, especially if you have a planted tank. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, BisScottie Non-Ya said:

my tap has a pH of 9 and a KH of 10

My water department makes a pH of 9.3 (not sure of kH) to keep the Langelier Saturation index about 1.0.  Despite this my tanks run about 7.8 pH.  I let the water sit in a bucket for 24+ hours before I use it (unless it's an emergency).  Have you tried that with your water?

Edited by egruttum
Edit: I've never cared enough to run kH.
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, KBOzzie59 said:

Live plants?  What type of filtration?

Probably 19 more of each tetra.

edit:  I have that same 60 gallon!  It's my "wide screen TV" without all the annoying commercials!

Yeah! I have a bunch of plants. Stem plants of all sports, anubias, Java fern, pennywort, and more lol. I'm using a Bio-wheel 350 (the older version of the 375) 

11 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

If the whiteskirt and the Glofish are the same sort of tetra, then I'd just add four more for a total of 6. That's usually the minimum advised for a shoal if you want to go VERY LOW stocking. 

If they're different sorts of tetra, then add 5 of each to bring their numbers to 6. 

But you could get away with much more, especially if you have a planted tank. 

Awesome! Thank you for the advice! I have a bunch of plants xD EDIT: the white skirt and glofish are super similar in shape and size.

10 minutes ago, egruttum said:

My water department makes a pH of 9.3 (not sure of kH) to keep the Langelier Saturation index about 1.0.  Despite this my tanks run about 7.8 pH.  I let the water sit in a bucket for 24+ hours before I use it (unless it's an emergency).  Have you tried that with your water?

Yep! I've tried that. Even added air and heat. 

Edited by BisScottie Non-Ya
  • Like 1

I agree with @H.K.Luterman, a group of six would look really nice and won’t overload your tank. 
I would also add at least one more Oto and a few jumbo Amano shrimp to help with potential algae. 
The planted 60 tall with the Angels and small school of Tetras is going to look great! 

• Thanks 1

From my experience with tetras, 6 may not be enough for them to feel comfortable in such a large tank, I think it's not just school size that matters but also density. When I upgraded to my current tank (a bit over 40 US gallons) the five tetras were very skittish and hid at the back of the tank behind plants. I got 10 more, and now they are all very comfortable. I would aim for schools of 10 or more for each tetra type and see if that works.

• Thanks 1