Need to Quarantine New Plants?

I know it must've been asked a thousand times, but I'm not easily finding the answer by searching. 

I have 6 plant species in the mail from ACO, and just realized I don't remember if I should quarantine! I don't care about snails, but might plants bring anything that would harm fish?

I personally have never quarintined plants, and I've never had a problem. I feel like most don't quarintine them either.

If you were worried (I know you mentioned you werent) about snails you could always do a bleach dip, that should also get rid of some of the algaes you probably dont want.

Also ACO is obviously a very trusted plant dealer amound aquarists so I wouldn't even worry the slightest from them.

I do. Not a true quarantine i guess but I never just instantly put something in my tank.  When I first got back into the hobby I ordered a bunch of plants and I didnt even have fish yet so I wasn't worried about anything. Fast forward months later and the tank is up and running. I"m trimming a plant and this larvae/worm thing comes out of the stim of the plant and starts moving around on my substrate. It was huge.  Ever since then I quarantine. I'm not worried about snails even though I only want my ramshorns I won't freak out about other snails but I'd like to avoid hydra and planaria.  I'm just one of those people who likes to avoid worse case scenarios. 

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

I do. Not a true quarantine i guess but I never just instantly put something in my tank. 

How do you sorta-quarantine? Just put the plants in a see-through container of water and look for moving things? 

Also, super gross story! Do you know what that wormy thing was?

On 5/6/2021 at 12:11 AM, CalmedByFish said:

How do you sorta-quarantine? Just put the plants in a see-through container of water and look for moving things? 

Also, super gross story! Do you know what that wormy thing was?

I often get plants in and the first thing I do is get them in some water with some light and a small dose of ferts. Usually trying to help them bounce back from shipping if they need it.  Basically I just look them over I look for snail eggs, hydra, Planaria etc.  If i have the option I let them grow roots for a while to make planting them easier and allow them to adjust to my water with out the filter or fish disturbing them.  And depending on where I get my plants I'll do a bleach dip.  I haven't felt the need to do so with the plants i get from AQCOOP, the come in in pretty good condition, all I do is watch for snails. 

• Like 1