What’s a good shrimp tank kit to get ?

Leo2o915

Personally I am very cheap so I prefer to get all the pieces separately; I don't like kits because maybe you don't like the light or filter, and you end up replacing it. Also kits just seem more expensive to me (maybe its a psychological trick with seeing prices separately vs one high price.) I also scour local ads for used tanks and equipment, although some people are delusional with their pricing. Since I'm also a fan of reduce, reuse, recycle, so it all works together for me.

• Like 2

Honestly? The only time I have personally have had success with shrimp is to take an old 5 gallon, 10 gallon, or 20 gallon that has already been the home of some fish for a while (atleast a year) and then put the shrimp in it. They really seem to do so much better in an established tank.  And if this is your first shrimp tank, I would encourage you to go with the 10 - 20 gallon setup as shrimp tend to be fragile.

I would personally not recommend the Fluval EBi as it is only 2.6 gallons.  That is going to make it really tough to keep your water parameters in line. 

I am curious how this does go for you and what you decide to get 🙂 So please keep us updated 🙂

Edited by Ben_RF
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ben_RF said:

Honestly? The only time I have personally have had success with shrimp is to take an old 5 gallon, 10 gallon, or 20 gallon that has already been the home of some fish for a while (atleast a year) and then put the shrimp in it. They really seem to do so much better in an established tank.  And if this is your first shrimp tank, I would encourage you to go with the 10 - 20 gallon setup as shrimp tend to be fragile.

I would personally not recommend the Fluval EBi as it is only 2.6 gallons.  That is going to make it really tough to keep your water parameters in line. 

I am curious how this does go for you and what you decide to get 🙂 So please keep us updated 🙂

I have mine blue velvet in my 20 long planted with my guppies Cory doras and snail infestation that’s why wanted to get a shrimp only tank lol so can add some dwarf chain loaches to help with the snails 

I have a small 8idh gallon that has a colony with a nirite. It's gonna be my master colony to populate my other tanks. I ha e about 50 bucks total in it. I bout the tank at a yard sale for 5 and it came with a lid. The light was very poor so I removed it and spent like 8-10 bucks on a led light strip approximately the size of the build housing and retrofit it in. I think bought the aqueon shrimp and plant pellets. Put a few java moss scraps a couple dragon stone and a spider wood and we was off to the races 😂

20200913_155405.jpg

Edited by Ben Ellison
  • Like 1

If you are looking on the cheap any budget 10 to 20 long with sponge filters will work. 

Or

Dennerle Shrimp King kits are pricey but not too bad for the price. ($145ish)

Aqueon makes a 7.5G shrimp kit which isn't hateful either. And wouldn't be too bad if you don't want to create your own set up. ($65-89ish)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skroob said:

If you are looking on the cheap any budget 10 to 20 long with sponge filters will work. 

Or

Dennerle Shrimp King kits are pricey but not too bad for the price. ($145ish)

Aqueon makes a 7.5G shrimp kit which isn't hateful either. And wouldn't be too bad if you don't want to create your own set up. ($65-89ish)

What would you do the shrimp king one or the Aqueon 

10 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

My most successful shrimp tanks have algae on the glass, biofilm on the wood, and floating plants for upside-down snacking.

I’m going to add the wood and some plants from the tank they in just going to treat the plants for hydrogen peroxide in case of snails lol 

• Like 1