Modifying FX4 Filter for Fry

Would love to see any pics of your setup if you modified the intake piece of an FX4 canister filter to keep fry, shrimp, and bad thoughts out of your filter. 

Found a few videos of folks wrapping the entire outside of the intake with a media bag and zip-tying it down, but I’ll likely be looking for another more ‘elegant’ solution. Maybe. 

Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pull that screen completely off and slide a pre-filter sponge on the tube.  I did this for my FX-6, just need to regularly clean the sponge.  Get 2 pre-filter sponges, when it's time to clean just slip dirty one off and slip the clean one on.

Like wise i put on a prefilter - in my case i have to clean it twice a week - I used a "filter max pre-filter iii"that has a plastic tube that will fit on the injest tube.

I know that aquarium coop sells a prefilter sponge but no clue if it fits. 

Edited by anewbie

24 minutes ago, anewbie said:

Like wise i put on a prefilter - in my case i have to clean it twice a week - I used a "filter max pre-filter iii"that has a plastic tube that will fit on the injest tube.

I know that aquarium coop sells a prefilter sponge but no clue if it fits. 

Is this the one? I like this one because it has different sized tubes. It fits my FX 4 perfectly. I only need to clean mine about once a month, but each person’s set-up is different!

9E52E53F-06EF-4BA9-88EC-58CBE068F097.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Cyndi said:

Is this the one? I like this one because it has different sized tubes. It fits my FX 4 perfectly. I only need to clean mine about once a month, but each person’s set-up is different!

9E52E53F-06EF-4BA9-88EC-58CBE068F097.jpeg

Yes that is hte one i use. It is a wee bit flimsy so be sure to not force the plastic in any way (it is brittle and people complain of it breaking but mine has not broken in a year usage).

1 hour ago, anewbie said:

Yes that is hte one i use. It is a wee bit flimsy so be sure to not force the plastic in any way (it is brittle and people complain of it breaking but mine has not broken in a year usage).

Oh yeah, one of mine broke and I thought it was my fault! It still worked though so that was good 🙂