Scarlet temple melting

2 minutes ago, Rising Sun said:

My scarlet temple are melting at the base of the stems. Left them in the pot for 2 weeks, planted into eco complete with easy root tabs, easy green, seachem potassium & iron once a week.

water is liquid rock. pH 7.8, NH 0ppm, NO2 0ppm, NO3 5ppm, PO4 0ppm, KH 240ppm, GH 180ppm

2DC9C925-C85F-4D83-B4A0-6186F0C20AD5.jpeg

68A33E07-ED89-406B-8DB9-8F80687AC2C6.jpeg

We struggle with Scarlet Temple too. But still . . . every once in a while, I buy a bunch anyway. It is so promising-looking . . .

• Administrators

Stems should be separated by like a inch per stem when rooting is what I find does best. You could also just float this plant while it converts. I also recommend at least 20ppm of nitrate from easy green. Unlikely you need added potassium and iron with the plants you have currently.

I’m also new to AR. I have it planted in a sand/aquasoil mix. I’m not seeing as much stem melt, but new growth on top is sure looking better than the lower parts. If it starts to melt at the base I’ll try floating it with a plant weight. 

A few of my scarlet temples stems had a similar melting as well in my eco complete. I tried replanting it because the upper stem was still solid and we will see how it goes. I was thinking about trying to float it in a breeder basket because my water surface seems to move a bit.