What's the best Repashy food to condition Corydoras?

Yanni

I was going to get a group of green laser corydoras and was interested in breeding them. I was wondering what Repashy food I should use to feed them. I currently feed frozen bloodworms and Hikari bottom feeder pellets to my snow white corydoras. I was just wondering what repashy food I should use because I'd like to put some more variety in their diet. What's the best repashy food for bottom dwellers that are most carnivorous? Thank you

I've not used any Repashy foods to condition corydoras, but I would say one like the spawn n grow, or grub pie would be good. I use frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, and live blackworms to condition mine. Another thing I will do is squirt in a little baby brine shrimp so that the adults will see that there is small foods available for fry. 

• Like 2

Hi @Yanni, I personally have not conditioned corydoras to spawn with repashy before. My Sterbai corydoras have been spawning for the last week or so and I collected eggs today, I used freeze dried tubifex worms to condition them. I simply got a cube or half a cube and pressed it on the glass so it would stick(you can actually see it in my profile picture). If I were to use a repashy food to try and spawn them, I would go with one that is high in protein like Repashy Spawn And Grow.

Also, this video uploaded by Aquarium Co-op of Eric Bodrock speaking on breeding Corydoras is an incredible source of information.  

I hope that helps, good luck with your breeding project! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2021 at 11:19 PM, Isaac M said:

Hi @Yanni

Also, this video uploaded by Aquarium Co-op of Eric Bodrock speaking on breeding Corydoras is an incredible source of information.  

I 2nd this.  Just watched the Eric Bodrock video the other day and it's a great resource.  
And on the other hand, I'm here for the same question.  Wondering what kinds of repashy to use for my cories.  I'm thinking I'm going to follow the advice here and do repashy community and spawn & grow.  I also use frozen bloodworms, freeze-dried bloodworms, bug bites (bottom feeder pellets - they LOVE this as much as the frozen).  
For what it's worth, my cories haven't taken to the hikari foods.  
I have 2 green lasers, 2 melanistius, 3 paleatus, 1 adolfi, 3 albino, 5 venezualan, 1 trilineatus.  A lot of mine are pumped up with eggs right now.  Waiting for the next storm to do a WC and see what happens.  
Eventually I'm going to sort the cories into aenus vs paleatus etc but I need to do more research bc I only know just enough to know that I don't know enough about the cross-breeding etc etc.  😅

On 12/29/2022 at 7:46 AM, RachReczenski said:

Eventually I'm going to sort the cories into aenus vs paleatus etc but I need to do more research bc I only know just enough to know that I don't know enough about the cross-breeding etc etc. 

Take a look at https://corydoras.zone/fish/corys/corydoradinae-corydoras-lineages/ for lineages if you haven’t already.  This link has good information to help you prevent hybrids.

In my tanks I generally prefer Soilent Green (and/or super green), community blend, and bottom scratcher.  I am very interested in and recommend spawn and grow food as well. I also really want to try the Igapo Explorer.  I think it does well with what corydoras like to eat, but I just don't have any to test that.

Anyone else think so?

In nature, most aquarium fish species rarely eat other fish. Only a minority of species are piscivores, yet most aquarium fish diets are based mainly on fishmeal, because it is widely available and comparatively cheap. Yet, there are better ways to feed your aquarium fishes, both nutritionally and ecologically.

In 2014 Dr. Stephan M. Tanner and Allen Repashy released a ground-breaking new fish diet: Fruut-Luups. A combination of Papaya, Mango, Organic Banana, and Fig complemented with easily digestible Black Soldier Fly, Krill, and Squid. The idea behind this formula was that in nature fish often eat fallen fruit with all the extras in the form of flying or boring insects and their larvae. While the initial concept was very successful, we further refined this “fruit snack” over time into a more complete, healthy, and nutritious formula.

When the rainy season hits, vast stretches of tropical and subtropical rainforests worldwide are flooded. Countless fish species such as tetras, catfishes, loaches, barbs, knifefishes, cichlids, livebearers, killifishes, labyrinthfishes, rainbowfishes, gobies, gudgeons, and oddballs follow the waters flowing into the forests. These “rainforest explorers” are rewarded with a rich bounty of terrestrial and flying insects, other invertebrates, nuts, fruits, seeds, legumes, herbs, and greens; all now in reach because of the elevated water levels.

When the original idea for Fruut-Luups was born, the Amazon freshwater swamp forests were very much on our mind. The blackwater-inundated forest is called Igapó and the whitewater type is known as Várzea. Tropical swamp forests contain many legume trees belonging to the bean family (Fabaceae). In fact, Fabaceae is the most common family found in tropical rain- and dry forests in South America and Africa. Hence, we added Pea flour and Alfalfa to the formula, both from the family Fabaceae. Since seeds and nuts play a role depending on the type of forest, we added Almond, Coconut, and Flax seeds to represent these food groups, which contain valuable fats and minerals and act as carriers for fat-soluble vitamins. As a natural source of anthocyanins, we added Black Mulberry fruit powder. There is evidence that anthocyanins inhibit mold formation and work as antioxidants, plus this ingredient gives the new formula an attractive color, smell, and flavor. These ingredients stand-in for native swamp trees and shrubs, as most of these are not commercially available. We retained Organic Banana and Mango, fruits that have proven their worth in many tests series. Consequently, the new formula has a much wider plant base with fruits, nuts, seeds, and pods.

High-quality proteins and fats from three major invertebrate groups complement this diet: Black Soldier Fly meal (stand-in for insect), Krill (stand-in for freshwater shrimp, which are very common in the tropics but Krill is higher in eicosapentaenoic acid [EPA], and docosahexaenoic acid [DHA]), and Squid (stand-in for mollusks [snails, slugs, and freshwater mussels]). All these animals are widespread in freshwater swamp forests and the most important protein and fat sources for adult fish to spawn, for juveniles to grow, and for adolescents to fatten up for their long migrations back to their spawning grounds further upstream.

These top-shelf nutrients are fortified with our Nutraceutical Premix made from Dandelion, Stinging Nettle, Garlic, Ginger, and Cinnamon based on scientific peer-reviewed research. Natural Carotenoids (no synthetics) including Astaxanthin, Capsanthin, Capsorubin, Beta-Carotene, Alpha Carotene, Beta Cryptoxanthin, Zeaxanthin, Neoaxanthin, Cucurbitaxanthin, Violaxanthin, Lutein, Echinenone, Canthaxanthin, and Lycopene complement the tested Repashy vitamin and mineral premix.