Stock Tank Journal

Started my first stock tank a few weeks ago with a 100 gallon Rubbermaid. Its stocked with about 10 wild caught mosquito fish, 15 whiteclouds, and 8 celestial peal danios and some frogbit.

To house the usb air pump and power supply for the lights I am using a plastic ammo can that can typically be found for pretty cheap at your local big box sporting goods store. They are perfect because they open up easily, close securely, have a seal on the lid, and are easy to drill.  They come in a few different sizes as well...

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@AlexaThe healthy looking one is an "Odessa Calla Lilly" I got at Lowes. I saw someone on youtube had a Calla Lilly set up the same way so I figured Id give it a try and its working out good so far. 

The other is an example of how to kill a Yellow Daylilly as fast as possible. I have a bunch of Daylillys in my yard...so after cutting grass my wheels started spinning and I thought Calla Lilly...Daylilly....both lillys...I bet it will thrive partially submerged...

Turns out it doesn't work like that lol....it was pale and slumped over in under a few hours. I chopped off the leaves and now I'm just letting it go out of curiosity...

***not sure what the plural of lilly is....Lilly? Lillies? Lilliya? Lilli (like cacti)....

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the pond....

Ive gone through two phases of algae now. Pretty quickly the entire sides and bottom became covered in brown algae. About the same time I added two bundles of frogbit, the algae on the sides boomed and completely cleared. I was actually shocked how fast and thorough it cleared; at one point I was concerned some chemical got in the water. Apparently it was just nature doing its thing.

About as fast as nature cleared the brown algae, nature did its next thing.....the water began to green up to the point you cant see more than about 2 inches deep. The water parameters look ok....slightly detectable Nitrites, and no Ammonia.  

In the pic below you can see on bundle of frogbit starting to spread out. The other bundle is in the back corner out of view. I am trying to turn that back corner behind the cinder blocks into a safe haven for baby fish. 

The Mosquitofish and  WhiteClouds seem to be doing great and the pond snails of course are booming. The jury is out on the 8x CPD I put in since I haven't seen them since the pond greened up. I only get to see the Mosquitofish and Whiteclouds during feeding due to the green water. The CPD were really small so I am hoping they are just hiding. 

The photo is my GREEN water with only WHITE LED pond lights. It looks really cool in the picture, but looking forward to it clearing so I can see the fish again. 

IMG_1518.jpg

Edited by PlaneFishGuy
  • Like 3

On 5/4/2021 at 2:59 PM, PlaneFishGuy said:

Started my first stock tank a few weeks ago with a 100 gallon Rubbermaid. Its stocked with about 10 wild caught mosquito fish, 15 whiteclouds, and 8 celestial peal danios and some frogbit.

To house the usb air pump and power supply for the lights I am using a plastic ammo can that can typically be found for pretty cheap at your local big box sporting goods store. They are perfect because they open up easily, close securely, have a seal on the lid, and are easy to drill.  They come in a few different sizes as well...

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

The Ammo can is a great idea.

• Like 1

How is your water temperature doing? We recently (December?) Moved our 3 goldfish from the 35 gallon blue half-barrel covered with wood siding tub they had been in for years and had outgrown into the same 100 gallon tub you have.  Our back patio is covered with a cream translucent ribbed sheeting, so the tub doesn't get full light, which really keeps the algae down but as our temperature warms up we notice the black tub seems to really gather heat and transfer it to the water even without full sun, much more than we anticipated. Since we live in Fresno we are concerned 😟, its been an unusually cool spring - that won't last.  20210525120036.jpg.f1a104b2b163a662a26a865b60856efd.jpgWe have a plan b as we are setting up new tubs made of big white industrial type cubes cut in half and again wrapped in wood siding.  One currently has rice fish and the other is not yet ready for fish. The new tubs are shallower but hold maybe 150 gallons and even though they currently get a couple hours a day sun so far seem to run a bit cooler..so the goldfish may move again once we get a shade barrier up. 20210421_132607.jpg.db896dc8ea64a70385b9750670514d8f.jpg

Anyway just wondering what your experience with temperature is where you are. 

20210421_132724.jpg

20210411_181107.jpg

@MichelleN We had overnight lows in the 30s earlier this year and my water temps were in the low 50s; lately we have had our temps in the 80 to 90s and the water temp has been in the mid to high 70s at the peak of the day. The pond is under a covered patio so it gets partial sun. 

Your ponds are looking awesome...

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, your Temperatures sound similar to ours. 

I was about to try to remove my question and pictures from your post because I saw the term hijacking on a chicken forum and worried I had gotten carried away posting too much of my own on your journal and so been rude.  If so I'm sorry. I do get carried away. 

26 minutes ago, MichelleN said:

Thanks for the reply, your Temperatures sound similar to ours. 

I was about to try to remove my question and pictures from your post because I saw the term hijacking on a chicken forum and worried I had gotten carried away posting too much of my own on your journal and so been rude.  If so I'm sorry. I do get carried away. 

Don't worry about removing them...I dont feel HiJacked 🙂 

What are the white flowers you have partially submerged? 

They're a type of Impatien (sp) called "Sunpations" that I saw on someone's blog they used in floating pond islands.  There was some debate about their tolerance for bog life in the comments, but they were $3 a small pot so we gave it a go.  What we found is the white is still fine & growing. Both the colored ones seemed OK for several weeks but then slowly passed away. We noticed the leaves are smoother on the whites, so even though they were sold as just a color variation we suspect there's differences in white vs colored.  We'll keep that white as long as it lives, but not buy more. Kinda like your Lilly experiment 😉

Edited by MichelleN