Acrylic Aquarium Stand specs needed

Acara Mom

Just purchased a new acrylic Aquarium that is only 40 gallon. I do not know what type of stand is appropriate. I’ve checked with local pet stores and they said I could use one from Petco that is a metal frame. Wondering if anyone has knowledge of what I should be looking to purchase.Thanks in advance

I personally don’t have any acrylic but I looked into one (too expensive for me) when I was thinking of a big tank (not going to carry heavy glass into my basement). I ended up with a 75 glass bc it was $200 instead of $750 and I can manage. Want a 6ft 125 but not going glass and acrylic is like $1000. 

anyways....I was pricing different diy stands and watching videos and the acrylic in all videos had a plywood bottom 

• Like 1

I... did not know that special consideration needed to be made for acrylic? I got a metal stand with metal supports cutting across the center to hold my 29 gallon acrylic.

EDIT: Now I'm purchasing a piece of plywood to add underneath just in case...

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input! Even the company that manufactured the tank did not make suggestions on specific requirements for the stands. I find that negligent! 🙂 I am starting to switch some of my tanks to acrylic because I am concerned about leaks. For the moment I purchased a condo and it’s making me very nervous! I think I’m turning into a crazy fish tank woman! 🙂

Yeah, I've always heard that rimless acrylic tanks need full bottom support, though I don't have any acrylic tanks myself. 1/2" or 3/4" plywood (not osb - oriented strand board, the stuff that looks like chunks of wood glued together) on a metal stand should work fine. Some folks use something with cushion as a mat in between, as @Nate s said.

Edited by ererer
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ererer said:

Yeah, I've always heard that rimless acrylic tanks need full bottom support, though I don't have any acrylic tanks myself. 1/2" or 3/4" plywood (not osb - oriented strand board, the stuff that looks like chunks of wood glued together) on a metal stand should work fine. Some folks use something with cushion as a mat in between, as @Nate s said.

My Aquarium has only been set up since late March. I'm picking up the plywood (3/4" hardwood) from Lowe's today, and we'll add it underneath the base of the tank with the next PWC. Hopefully that'll give me peace of mind.

Thanks for this thread, I had never heard of this in spite of my research.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Acara Mom said:

What type of mat you plan to put under the aquarium?

I'm not putting any mat under it, just the plywood. My stand is leveled and we'll check the leveling again after adding the plywood, which we are planning to do tonight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Acara Mom said:

Thanks for your feedback! I have a piece waiting on my son to come by and cut it for me. I think I will put some trim on the raw edges to make it look better. Take care and God bless!

Absolutely! Good luck, my husband measured and cut, then sanded the edges down nicely. Luckily picking up some decent plywood from home depot is no big deal, though I certainly recommend doing it *BEFORE* stocking your tank than two months after like I did, lol!