Hello there

I kept a goldfish as a child, and failed to keep fish just out of college. I've been keeping my current fish for about a year. I got a 3-gallon aquaponics kit and a betta (I pronounce it beta like a pleb and don't care) for my birthday. Captain Rex, my betta, upgraded his tanks multiple times before he passed. Currently, I have a 20-gallon long, a Fluval Spec 16, and a Waterbox Peninsula 6025 (which you can read about Mon Cala here). I have listed the inhabitants of my tanks at the end of this post! I bought a 40-breeder tank to act as a sump for our first reef, but because of some road bumps it went unused. Now I plan to combine my two tanks into this tank. I wish this forum had build threads so I could make a post similar to Mon Cala. Outside of fishkeeping I am an avid runner, play hockey in the summer, am a DM for 5E, and do my best to take care of the planet. I'm looking forward to become a better fish keeper with your help!

---

20-Gallon Long

Fish

• The Meeseeks: 12 Harlequin rasbora
  • Jan-Michael Vincent: 8 Green neon rasbora
  • Michael (there was a Pichael; you can ask about the story): 1 Siamese algae eater
  • A lot of cherry shrimp

Plants

# Fluval Spec 16

Fish

• Hondo: Clown Pleco
  • The Jawas: 6 Khuli Loaches
  • The Stormtroopers: 10 Exclamation point rasbora
  • Zero the Hutt: Nerite Snail
  • Dooku & Ventress: Scarlet Badis pair

Plants

IMG_8403.jpeg

IMG_7971.jpeg

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_9060.JPG

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Also, great to see another Clone Wars fan!

No Bad Batch spoilers! Waiting until after work to watch it! Dave Filoni is the best thing to happen to Star Wars.

Thanks for the compliments. Both my freshwater tanks have been neglected a bit, it's hard to trim plants and stuff when you're buying stuff for a new setup 😅

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, CalmedByFish said:

Welcome! Sounds like you have a lot of thriving happening. 

The shrimp are the only critters without a name? They must be so offended! 😂 Needs some Star Wars equivalent of "the Borg" or "silly peasants."

I actually didn't realize they didn't have a name until I made this post! 🤣 I'll have to think of something good and then I'll edit it. I like the Porgs or the Tusken Raiders.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard! Following your R2R build thread, I have all the equipment to setup two reef tanks, but been too occupied with FW projects (oh, and life outside of the hobby! Even during Covid) to get them started yet. I'm super impressed with your SW build thread, well documented and taking quarantine very seriously right off the bat. I'm taking notes so that I can follow your practices once I start adding inhabitants. I also want a mandarin pair, excited to see yours grow! (And they do start out so incredibly small, don't they?). Also appreciate your ethic of only captive-bred, this too is something I plan to follow as much as possible, especially with corals and fish and inverts (I may source some macro algae or maricultured live rock from reputable suppliers in the gulf or Florida). You can start a thread in the tank Journal subforum, it's fairly equivalent to a build thread on this forum.

Also neat that you have a Scarlet Badis pair, are they a m/f breeding pair? I'm interested in trying my hand at breeding this species if I have the space and can get a pair at some point, though it's a bit down the list of future projects.

16 hours ago, ererer said:

I'm super impressed with your SW build thread, well documented and taking quarantine very seriously right off the bat. I'm taking notes so that I can follow your practices once I start adding inhabitants. I also want a mandarin pair, excited to see yours grow! (And they do start out so incredibly small, don't they?). Also appreciate your ethic of only captive-bred, this too is something I plan to follow as much as possible, especially with corals and fish and inverts (I may source some macro algae or maricultured live rock from reputable suppliers in the gulf or Florida). You can start a thread in the tank Journal subforum, it's fairly equivalent to a build thread on this forum.

Also neat that you have a Scarlet Badis pair, are they a m/f breeding pair? I'm interested in trying my hand at breeding this species if I have the space and can get a pair at some point, though it's a bit down the list of future projects.

# On Quarantine 

Yeah, quarantine is pretty important when your average fish cost is around $100 😬 I appreciate the compliment, but I'm still pretty new to reef tanks, I wouldn't do what I do unless you want to learn from my mistakes first hand 🤣

# Tank Journal Forum

Thanks for the advice on the tank journal, I will do a "build thread" for my new 40-breeder when I finally get around to combining my tanks (probably in early June). 

# Scarlet Badis

You know, I'm not sure... At first I thought that I had a male and a female, but Ventress does have a little red (even though it's definitely not the bright red that Dooku has). I don't know if "she" is a male that is just not dominate or a female. They rarely fight or chase each other... Maybe I'll post some pictures and get some advice from this forum. If they are a male/female pair, I would like to try to breed them at some point.

11 hours ago, Warren Peace said:

Wow! Those are some impressive crypts! The names of your fish are really funny! Your tanks look great!

Thanks! I don't really do much for the crypts; I dose Tropica specialized nutrition (or premium? whichever one doesn't have nitrates and is orange) and add Seachem root tabs once a month.

As for the names, I think a lot of people in this hobby lose sight of the fact that these animals are pets. Giving everyone a name builds the attachment to them and makes them feel more like family and less like an object 😃 I try to name every fish I get after it survives quarantine (but not before because it just makes deaths that much harder).

Edited by Arcite
Accidentally posted just quotes...
  • Like 2