Ill Dwarf Gouramis, Iridovirus???

Newbie Fishkeeper

For at least a week now my two Dwarf Gouramis (1m/1f) are showing some alarming signs, eating and moving less, losing some scales, one of them has damage to his eye that's not healing. I have purchased them a month ago. They're sharing a tank with 4 Corydoras (bought from the same shop) and 3 snails. Is there any way I could help them? Is it possible that it's Iridovirus and I won't be able to do anything to help them heal? 

If its the Iridovirus, what do I do about the tank inhabitants and environment/ decor (live plants, rocks, substrate/ gravel)?

The water parameters are as follows: pH is 7.4, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all 0. Lights are on from 4 to 9pm on a timer. Fish were fed once every two days like suggested by our fish shop until the cycle is stable, Stability was added daily, Prime every other day.

It could be iridovirus or a nasty bacterial infection he a pic of fish with iridovirus you could try treating with kanaplex and furan 2 just in case your dealing with a bad bacterial infection 

Screenshot_20210413-233131~2.png

I would treat the main tank if your in UK you can not get kanaplex or furan2  so I would treat    NT labs acriflavin or another product containing acriflavin

Edited by Colu

The products available are API Melafix https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002567SW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_G92V7EMH44BA9K2191DF and the only one with the substance you mentioned is by AllPondSollutions Aquarium Rescue, the rest of them advertise as for ponds/koi fish only ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077TT5YD5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_A4S9BCV0RQ2BZQX4WSYF )

Any of those would do? Many thanks x

Hi, I have just received a bottle of Aquarium Rescue and applied the suggested amount to my tank. It had some floaty blue bits in it after shaking but hopefully it will help my Gouramis, since earlier today I noticed what looks like an ulcer (?) on the female fish. I'll keep adding the liquid and posting the progress. Keep your fingers crossed!

Screenshot_20210506-194935.png

Today the female Gourami sadly passed on. The male seems to be missing more scales, however he's still eating and swimming. It's the fourth day on Aquarium Rescue, I'll carry on using it for the recommended week to make sure that the rest of the fish in the aquarium are doing fine.

2 hours ago, Newbie Fishkeeper said:

Today the female Gourami sadly passed on. The male seems to be missing more scales, however he's still eating and swimming. It's the fourth day on Aquarium Rescue, I'll carry on using it for the recommended week to make sure that the rest of the fish in the aquarium are doing fine.

Sorry to hear that if it's losing more scales your probably deal with lridovirus your corydoras can't get lridovirus  finish the treatment if it there's no improvement after that you might have to consider euthanizeing him

Edited by Colu

Thank you Colu for your constant help, I really appreciate it. I've done 4 days of the medication now, the package says to do max of 7 days. If no improvement, what would you suggest for euthanising the fish, wouldn't want him to suffer. Do I need to clean the tank out (plants, gravel, decor) and change the water afterwards? At some point I would like to get some more fish and wouldn't want any harmful bacteria to attack them later on since Gouramis had multiple problems due to their illness (eye infection, scales missing, fin problems)

I will most possibly not buy Gourami due to the illness and threat of passing it on to new fish, even though when not I'll they're stunning. I've also contacted the shop with the concerns about the fish I got from them but they blocked me on Facebook and aren't picking up my phone.

I would use Clove oil  fill a bucket with 1gallon of tank water put the fish in it get a jug or cup fill with tank water add 12 drops of clove oil mix it so the oil is not floating on the surface add clove oil to bucket your fish should stop moving after 5 minutes if still moving add some more clove oil after it stops moving mix in 24 drops of clove oil and wait 30 minutes till the gills stop moving after 30 minutes If there's no visible gill movement severe the spine behind the head using sharp knife or scissor just to make sure that it's dead depending on the fish you might have add a higher dose of clove oil  I read an article on iridovirus it mainly affect gourami's cichlid and some livebearers if you add tetras or rasbora or catfish  they won't get sick from  it you could move your corys to a Qarantine tank and disinfect the main tank with a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution 

Edited by Colu