How long is too long to reach out to customer service re: plants?

Aquali

I was researching an issue on the blog and it said something to the effect of "if this happens to your plant, contact us with pics and we'll be happy to replace it!" That's an awesome policy, but how long is too long before a customer could be considered to be taking advantage?

I bought a lily bulb at the coop in early January and it got here on January sixth. I gave it almost ninety days (I think) before letting them know it was still just sitting there doing nothing and they sent me a replacement. which is growing great while the original is still just sitting there and doing nothing.

• Like 1

I ordered a lotus bulb that rotted after I gave it over a month of doing nothing. They refunded me for that purchase.  I also lost java fern after about a year--At that point it's my fault (my water just won't grow Java Fern) and would never consider asking the coop to replace something like that! 

• Like 1

I think it depends on the plant. If it were in the case of a lily bulb never growing, or an anubias rotting away over time after receiving it, I'd contact and see if I have any options. But if it were a case of a plant just not thriving in my tank because of user error, then I wouldn't contact.

I did once get a shipment of anubias from the Co-op which did end up with rhizome rot and it took a few weeks of it decaying while I tried to save it before I contacted them (and they were awesome and sent me new ones).

• Like 1

The co-op has the best customer department of any business I know. The will always do right by the customer. Shoot them an email explaining your situation. They will definitely respond and let you know if/how they can help. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 7:49 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

I think it depends on the plant. If it were in the case of a lily bulb never growing, or an anubias rotting away over time after receiving it, I'd contact and see if I have any options. But if it were a case of a plant just not thriving in my tank because of user error, then I wouldn't contact.

I did once get a shipment of anubias from the Co-op which did end up with rhizome rot and it took a few weeks of it decaying while I tried to save it before I contacted them (and they were awesome and sent me new ones).

Actually that’s exactly what happened to me. I’ve bought several anubias from them over the last few months as I set up a tank. Then one by one they slowly started to rot away. Ive thrown most of them away without photos but I’ve still got a few. Not sure if it’s something I did but everything else is doing well including an anubias from another tank. I’m hesitant to ask for replacements bc a) it’s plants from several purchases and b) Id hate to get more and have the same problem (assuming it’s something happening in my tank I just haven’t figured out). 

1 minute ago, Aquali said:

Actually that’s exactly what happened to me. I’ve bought several anubias from them over the last few months as I set up a tank. Then one by one they slowly started to rot away. Ive thrown most of them away without photos but I’ve still got a few. Not sure if it’s something I did but everything else is doing well including an anubias from another tank. I’m hesitant to ask for replacements bc a) it’s plants from several purchases and b) Id hate to get more and have the same problem (assuming it’s something happening in my tank I just haven’t figured out). 

It really is hit or miss with anubias. Sometimes they come in just fine, but other times they get rhizome rot and there's no saving them (And I've ordered from multiple sellers, so no one is really to blame). One thing I can say, is that anubias I purchased locally seems to hold up better, so maybe it's from the stress of shipping? 

Anyways, yeah they'll most likely need a photo of the rotting plants to send you new ones, but I'd still contact and ask anyways; It's such a common issue.

I wish I had known this several years ago when most of my plants showed up in poor shape. I'm going to be making an order soon but I just wish they would do Express Mail. I'd be willing to pay more for shipping to ensure that I receive them in the best possible condition. Especially living on an island with no LFS.