Betta with Possible Abscess

apologist97

My Betta and I are in a bit of a fight. What started out looking to me like a small cut or abrasion (see photo 1) in January has ballooned into what I think is a large puss filled abscess, although I am not positive and would like a second opinion. I have never had a fish get this problem. It started off pretty gradual but it is getting larger much quicker in the last month (photo 5 was March). I am a bit unsure how to treat it or if I can at all. This fish is in a community tank and I started him on a course of meracyn in a quarantine tank in January but after a week I decided he was more stressed out in the quarantine than in the aquarium as he was not eating, hiding, and refusing to approach the glass when I came by (which he always does) and the cut did not seem to improve at all). Do I attempt quarantine again, stressing him further and if so, do I try maracyn again, salt, or some other medication? I am also unsure if I should try to lance the wound so it doesn't burst and create a large open wound. Water conditions are pretty stable. I just did a 50% water change to see if that would help at all, although they haven't seemed to help much over the last few months. All other fish, shrimp, and snails are fine and acting normally including breeding so I don't think its something tank-wide that is off. 

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrate: 10ppm (haven't added in Easy Green yet as I didnt want to throw off test)

Hardness: between 75-150ppm

Chlorine: 0ppm

pH: 6.8ish

DBAF7D5C-A960-421C-8356-DFEBCA117976.jpeg

F0A40AEF-873E-4D23-B3FE-1B82D45A7F6F.jpeg

EDBFC9AE-EC98-4F77-B8D6-90F5DC064700.jpeg

73235464-02C4-4C67-8D6A-1CCAA10BA84B.jpeg

5863413D-791B-48EA-944E-97971AF50A59.png

That's going to be a rough decision, I'm so sorry. I did a little research and there's not a lot out there- however I did run into a thread where an abcess on a Betta burst (in this case around its jaw so it couldn't eat). Question is, do you lance it or leave it huh? There's no way I could say one way or another. I would think well if it burst could it damage his spine since it's very near it? If I lance it will it get infected or make matters worse? If it burst OR you lanced it I'd imagine you'd want to quarantine him and medicate with an antibiotic and keep their water VERY clean. Since he's not really sick (meaning likely not to infect others) is there a way he could be near his fishy friends? Like in a tank next to them? Or would that stress him more? Also, could this be a tumor? (It looks like an injury to me but it's hard to say)

I found a video on youtube with a gal who was actually removing a tumor (contains graphic images) from her Betta- it's possible you could use her method for putting your Betta to sleep with clove oil to lance it- but I've never tried it and frankly I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do it- but I'm putting the link here in case you were interested. I hope somebody else has some sage advice...

3 minutes ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

That's going to be a rough decision, I'm so sorry. I did a little research and there's not a lot out there- however I did run into a thread where an abcess on a Betta burst (in this case around its jaw so it couldn't eat). Question is, do you lance it or leave it huh? There's no way I could say one way or another. I would think well if it burst could it damage his spine since it's very near it? If I lance it will it get infected or make matters worse? If it burst OR you lanced it I'd imagine you'd want to quarantine him and medicate with an antibiotic and keep their water VERY clean. Since he's not really sick (meaning likely not to infect others) is there a way he could be near his fishy friends? Like in a tank next to them? Or would that stress him more? Also, could this be a tumor? (It looks like an injury to me but it's hard to say)

I found a video on youtube with a gal who was actually removing a tumor (contains graphic images) from her Betta- it's possible you could use her method for putting your Betta to sleep with clove oil to lance it- but I've never tried it and frankly I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do it- but I'm putting the link here in case you were interested. I hope somebody else has some sage advice...

Thanks for doing some research! I saw this video as well and with the articles and other forums I looked like I think I am in agreement that it is a bacterial abscess rather than a tumor. I haven't tried putting the quarantine tank by his regular tank, maybe that would help I'm not sure. I'm thinking I will have to try and quarantine him either way because if it bursts it will flood the community tank with bad bacteria. Thank you again for your help! I have never lanced a fish injury. Have you ever heard of anyone doing it on a fish this small?

• 1 year later...