Koi Boy - my betta

Hello all, I have been keeping tropical fish for well over 40years on and off. In the past 7 months I have purchased 5 new tanks. I have 20 gallons, 40 gallons, 3-10 gallon & I just donated a 6.5 gallon to my granddaughter (she is 11 & shares my love and fascination of aquariums). Anyways I purchased a stunning Koi Betta (whom I named Koi Boy) about a month ago. I originally had him in a 20 gallon with 7 black neons (which died from Koi chasing them constantly) & before you ask the neons where introduced to the tank 2 weeks prior to Koi. They developed some ich which I treated but his constant harrassment was to much for them. Really tore me up. My question is this.  I removed Koi from the 20 and put him in a 10 gallon as I plan for him to be the single occupant. Koi has been non stop flaring at his reflection since I moved him. I had a coral backing, flaired for 3 hours, a black backing flair 1 hour Brite blue has been flailing on & off for the past 3 hours. I have turned off his lite & he is excepting food but I'm worried that his constant flairing is gonna cause stress and illness. I am attaching a picture of his tank ( I don't keep live plants but all his artificial ones have been softened and he seems to injoy them)

16200928569935725150889975932848.jpg

• Like 1

No actually he actively seeks me out to interact. He comes to the front of the tank when I call to him.. He follows my movements & eats right out of my hand. I tested him this morning with my daughter. She was trying to get him to the front of the tank calling to him while she was close. He completely ignored and avoided her. I then had her move and I stood where she was and called Koi Boy, hi beautiful, where are you? He immediately came forward and started interacting with me. I sat down, my daughter tried again and he fled to the rear of the tank until I again called to him and he swam right to me. We did this like 5 time in a row and each time he reacted the same exact way. When I fed him and she saw him take food out of my hand to say she was shocked is a complete understatement. Koi Boy LOVESSSSS & KNOWS his mama lol

• Love 1

There’s some information on this thread that might be helpful: 

but it sounds like you’re already doing a lot of the things (lowering light in the aquarium and/or increasing light outside to reduce reflection), you could also perhaps try floating plants or adding tannins to the water. It seems like bettas each have their own individual personalities. So cool that Koi Boi has bonded with you! ❤️  Does that help reduce his flaring ie if you spend more time with him? 
also he looks like a plakat or short fin, which is good, the flaring by itself shouldn’t cause illness, it’s that with the longer finned bettas their fins are more delicate and the activity can split their fins, which may lead to secondary infections.  
Also how long has he been in the 10 gal?  He just might need more time to get used to it? Maybe he’s mad you “took away” all his toys 😬😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like @SWilson said, reducing the reflection could be a game changer!  Looks like you've got lots of plants to break up the line of sight and give Koi Boy places to hide and take a break.

Sometimes bettas take a long time to settle.  Spritz (who is my red koi plakat boy), took a loooong time to settle into his tank.  He was a glass surfing master.  It took him a little over a month (and a vacation in my 20L tank at home) to settle and explore more than surf.

Pete, my Salamander Dumbo Halfmoon dude settled almost immediately.

Sometimes, water parameters can also be a contributing factor.  I find that when the temperatures are hotter, Spritz is more active.  I used to keep his tank close to 80 degrees, but I backed him down to the mid-70's and he seems more relaxed.  You could also try a Stress Coat product to make sure your betta has a nice comfy slime coat!

I hope that you'll post more pictures and updates of Koy Boy!!! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@SWilson LOL @ taking his toys away. I enjoyed that giggle. Don't worry I have new "toys" coming today. Koi seems much more relaxed today. We've been interacting a lot today and I was actually able to turn on his lites. YEA BABY!!!! This little guy is so awesome & personable. We have really  bonded & even though I have had many fish over the years (some I completely loved) he is by far my absolute favorite. Thanks again for the giggle!!😉😉

20210504_111240.jpg

20210504_111319.jpg

• Like 3

@SWilson I forgot 2 thing yes Koi Boy is a platkat & his flaring definitelydecreaseswhen I am near the tank, he comes rite up to me. @SWilson LOL @ taking his toys away. I enjoyed that giggle. Don't worry I have new "toys" coming today. Koi seems much more relaxed today. We've been interacting a lot today and I was actually able to turn on his lites. YEA BABY!!!! This little guy is so awesome & personable. We have really  bonded & even though I have had many fish over the years (some I completely loved) he is by far my absolute favorite. Thanks again for the giggle!!😉😉

@Betsyhis tank temp is 77 degrees Fahrenheit. I transfered his water from 1 tank to the other so his perimeters have stayed the same. Same filter, same water & same decorations only difference is went from the 20 to a 10. I did also get 3 panda Cory's today for his tank 🤔 I don't know if that's what's calmed him down or not we will see. Thanks for ur response 👍

• Like 2

Given his feisty personality, I wonder if he would like an actual toy. I know some bigger fish like to chase ping pong balls. Maybe there's something that'd be of interest to him. If not a toy, maybe a fast-moving snail that he could watch but not hurt. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, debbiehallstrom said:

@SWilsonhi hun just wanted to give you an update on the "toy" problem lol. Koi's new Beta log came today and he 💘 It!! SCORE! 🧛‍♀️🧛‍♀️

oh cool! I just recently got a new betta too (about 2 weeks ago) haven't had one in 16 years.  I'm obsessed with him.  He lives in a 40 gal with a bunch of endlers and habrosus cories.  I've never tried one of those logs before - but maybe I'll get one for him.  he'd probably like a place to rest when he's tired of chasing his roommates.  

• Like 1

@SWilsonKou's 1st roommates where my Endlers in a 10 gallon, but as I have like 4 very pregnant mamas I placed him in the 20 gallon with my black neons (which we know he truely disliked) as I am ok with him in a tank by himself (other then the 3 new corys) & I am getting some platies & I felt it was better just to put him in a single 10 gallon & I'll use the 20 for my platies. An added bonus is that both the 10 & 20 have been cycled lol & his water perimeters stayed perfect.

• Like 1

@SWilsonI'd actually been debating on the Beta log. I've seen a lot of good reviews on them & the fact that they are fairly inexpensive I decided to go ahead and try 1. Trial by error. We all make mistakes but without those mistakes we don't learn right so I've tried it and YES he loves it. Congrads on your new boy I'd love to see some pictures if u have them.

• Like 1

@CalmedByFishKoi has actually calmed down. I think he was just reacting to the move to a smaller tank. He loves his new beta log & he is getting exercise chasing his  new roommates the panda Cory's. I give him plenty of stimuli and interaction. I actually took a video of him and I interacting earlier this evening & would post it if I could but it is too big so it was rejected. I will definitely consider the ping pong ball idea. Thanks 

• Like 1