Treating a Spotted Congo Puffer for Ich

Stephen Zawacki

3 hours ago, Stephen Zawacki said:

Ok so I have a congo puffer that has ich I did ich x and it seems that it did nothing and I did everything to the tee.  I have a product called supratect which king of diy uses on all his fish since he lives in Canada and has no medicine. Should I try the supratect 

Before you do that, read this article.

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/10-2-4-epistylis/

49 minutes ago, Stephen Zawacki said:

Ok I've read the article now I'm second guessing that it is ich since I've treated with ich x and nothing has happened. Should I then treat with the supratect 

I'm not familiar with that medication, so I can't advise you. Do you know anyone local who has used it?

Yes, it seems you can't get antibiotics without a prescription from a vet in Canada. Therefore, your treatment options are chemical, so things like ich-x (which contains malachite green and is used to treat parasites like ich) or methylene blue (which is used to treat fungual infections), herbal treatments (like supratect, which contains garlic but I'm not sure what else, since they don't identify the ingredients), salt (in a proper, low dose for freshwater disease treatment), or heat. So first we need to identify (as best we can) what we're trying to treat, then we can find the recommended treatment option(s) that are available to you. Sometimes you'll have to try a few different things if you're not sure what it is.

Did you read the link @Mmiller2001 shared to see if it's possible you're dealing with epistylis? Can you tell if the symptoms match, especially the differences they describe between that and ich?

• 2 weeks later...